Detonator?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree with your description Tom, and come to think of it a 'Drill' (dry practice use only) would have a mid-blue coloured ballistic cap, at least in UK forces. What makes me think it's probably inert, or 'empty', is the lack of the slightly protruding end flange at the 'open' end, but then I have little experience of artillery rounds, only AT guns and mortars. On British practice rounds, there is normally a long recesses channel on at least one side of the main sleeve,often painted red, rather than holes.

It also has notches machined in it for a spanner or wrench, with four allen head set screws of which you can see in the photos. So Tom, would the marks be for seconds?

Could be for seconds Aaron, or more likely fuse setting numbers, each number being the delay in arming and triggering the fuse, which fires the detonator within the sleeve into the shell casing, initiating the main charge. Tom can probably explain this more comprehensively though. The setting ring is adjusted with the key/spanner/wrench supplied with each case of shells, and also in the tools case for the weapon in question.

Me too Dave. Pardon my bluntness Aaron, but your boss needs his frikkin' head examined.

Great info Tom and Terry, learnt alot, thanks!

Glad You've got it IDed. Kinda thought it looked like a arty fuse of some type with timing ring. Used to operate out of fire base Birmingham but never paid much attention to what the arty guys were doing

Attachments

• demotivational-poster-14900.jpg
    demotivational-poster-14900.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back