Device in the plexiglass nose of XF-11?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

yosimitesam

Airman 1st Class
Aug 8, 2010
Huntingdon, TN
Very curious as to what exactly is the item in the small plexiglass nose of the Hughes XF-11? (See photos). The only guesses I can come up with are:

(1) Radar? Doesn't look like any type of dish or antenna from that era, that I am aware of.
(2) Spotlight? This would account for it being behind plexiglass but why would you need one on a recon aircraft?
(3) Special antenna for navigation, landing, or ECM? Maybe a DF loop? I wouldn't think you would need clear plexiglass to house any of these.
(4) Funky camera of some sort. Would also explain the plexiglass but where do you load the film?
(5) Custom loudspeaker system so that the pilot could blast "neener neener, you can't catch me!" while over enemy territory? (With awesome "bass" power, of course.) Or, "Hey, look up and say CHEESE!"
(4) Secret Death-Ray that Howard Hughes developed from crashed alien spacecraft he found outside Las Vegas?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Thanks

forum_img_3.jpg

forum_img_2.jpg

forum_img_1.jpg

Last edited:
(5) Custom loudspeaker system so that the pilot could blast "neener neener, you can't catch me!" while over enemy territory? (With awesome "bass" power, of course.) Or, "Hey, look up and say CHEESE!"

Sounds like something that a pilot would say just before something failed on his aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back