Did P-51B''s serve the entire war?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rufus123

Airman 1st Class
Sep 1, 2013
While they lacked visibility it looks like they have plenty of performance to be viable after the P-51D's were available.

No, the war started in 1939. I don't think the P-51B arrived until the latter half of 1943.

Sorry the way I worded it. I was aware they were not available at the start of the war.

I was wondering if they served until wars end.

From what I have read, even some P-51As served to the end of the war and there were only 300 of them to begin with.

- Ivan.

Some did, and even more served as unit 'hacks', as 'War Weary'aircraft. But most were either worn out, lost to accident or enemy action, or transferred to secondary duties.
The average lifespan of a military aircraft in WW2 could normally be measured in weeks, months at the most, although, of course, many did go on to serve a lot longer.

Some did, and even more served as unit 'hacks', as 'War Weary'aircraft. But most were either worn out, lost to accident or enemy action, or transferred to secondary duties.
The average lifespan of a military aircraft in WW2 could normally be measured in weeks, months at the most, although, of course, many did go on to serve a lot longer.

British were still using two squadrons of Allison powered Mustangs at VE day for recon missions. Not hard to imagine some P-51"B"s and "C"s lasting that long considering they were about 1 year newer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back