Differences between Mechanics, Fitters and Riggers in RAF & Commonwealth air forces WW2? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chris ballance

Airman 1st Class
Jul 21, 2022
What is the difference between mechanics, fitters, and riggers in terms of the RAF and related Commonwealth air forces? Is there a good source that breaks down all the ground crew roles in a squadron?

thanks in advance

What is the difference between mechanics, fitters, and riggers in terms of the RAF and related Commonwealth air forces? Is there a good source that breaks down all the ground crew roles in a squadron?

thanks in advance
Hi
Attached is some background from the WW2 publication 'ABC of the RAF' (2nd Edition) by Sir John Hammerton:
WW2rafmaint003.jpg

WW2rafmaint004.jpg

WW2rafmaint005.jpg

WW2rafmaint006.jpg

WW2rafmaint007.jpg

WW2rafmaint008.jpg

For particular types of squadron you will need the official establishments, I can't help you there, I only have establishments for two seat squadrons for 1916 and 1917.

Mike

Hi
Attached is some background from the WW2 publication 'ABC of the RAF' (2nd Edition) by Sir John Hammerton:
View attachment 690826
View attachment 690827
View attachment 690828
View attachment 690829
View attachment 690830
View attachment 690831
For particular types of squadron you will need the official establishments, I can't help you there, I only have establishments for two seat squadrons for 1916 and 1917.

Mike
And now i know Airframes Airframes means.

A motorcyclist must not only be able to ride a motorcycle but must be able to drive a motorcycle. Page 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back