Does anyone know what "Bordsammler" means?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Otyanomizu

Airman
Sep 1, 2021
I am Japanese, and I am translating the manual for the Bv141B-1 into Japanese. In the process, I came across the word "Bordsammler". I've done some research on it, but I can't find any information about it :( We know that this is probably a technical word.

Do any of you know what the German word "Bordsammler" means?

I just created an account for this site, so I apologize if there are any mistakes.

Welcome to the site. My German is limited but the literal translation that I would make out is "on board collector". It's common to have the word Bord tacked on to the front of part and personnel names. Examples are Bordkannone (on board cannon) and Bordfunker (on board radio operator). I'm not sure what sort of equipment could be termed a "collector" though. Maybe you can post the section of the manual that the word appears in to give it some context.

スクリーンショット 2021-09-21 23.31.35.jpg
スクリーンショット 2021-09-21 23.31.13.jpg

It looks like this.

I am Japanese, and I am translating the manual for the Bv141B-1 into Japanese. In the process, I came across the word "Bordsammler". I've done some research on it, but I can't find any information about it :( We know that this is probably a technical word.

Do any of you know what the German word "Bordsammler" means?

I just created an account for this site, so I apologize if there are any mistakes.
Welcome aboard. It is great to see someone translating technical manuals from one language to another and dong whatever is necessary to ensure the translations are accurate.

There are a number of Japanese manuals on this forum at Japanese engine manuals and technical drawings (blueprints) and Japanese engine manuals and technical drawings (blueprints)

If you run out of other material to translate I am sure translating any of those publications to English would be welcomed by many on this forum

Welcome aboard. It is great to see someone translating technical manuals from one language to another and dong whatever is necessary to ensure the translations are accurate.

There are a number of Japanese manuals on this forum at Japanese engine manuals and technical drawings (blueprints) and Japanese engine manuals and technical drawings (blueprints)

If you run out of other material to translate I am sure translating any of those publications to English would be welcomed by many on this forum
I hadn't thought of that! I would love to do it someday, but there are still so many other things I want to translate, I would love to do it someday, but I still have a lot of other things I want to translate, so it will probably be a long time before I do it.

Back to square one. Post 4 says battery and above says magneto. I think the Bf109 manual refers to a magneto as a Zunder (umlaut u).

Back to square one. Post 4 says battery and above says magneto. I think the Bf109 manual refers to a magneto as a Zunder (umlaut u).
There are many German words with 2 or more meanings. The usual translation of "Sammler" is collector (also for a person who collects something). The specific meaning (in military terms) is accumulator.
104725159.jpg

For those who speak/understand German, below is the instruction how to fill and load a "Sammler":
104725159_74318204.jpg

Any Luftwaffe-manual will show either the exact location of the accumulator or an electrical scheme with its connections. In a Bf 109E-manual "der Sammler" is clearly depicted (see A14):
BtgsIXt.jpg

plXFo4m.jpg

"Der Magnetzuender" on the other hand is under B1.

Last edited:
In fairness English has to be the most illogical slang ridden language in the world. Just on this thread, most "batteries" are not batteries at all they are cells.

A conventional (lead acid and nicad etc) battery is usually an accumulation of cells so depending on the unit and/or your version of English Accumulator, Battery and Cell are all correct.

A conventional (lead acid and nicad etc) battery is usually an accumulation of cells so depending on the unit and/or your version of English Accumulator, Battery and Cell are all correct.
I agree, but for most people a battery is what they put in a toy, watch or phone and most are "cells". I spent 30 years abroad explaining where "technical" words like skelp and git come from, the Chinese are completely baffled by parts of a weld and parts of the human body having the same name, like leg, toe and throat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back