Dora production figures (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thedab

Airman 1st Class
Apr 21, 2013
norwich
Have anyone got the production figures for the Dore

I have seen it on here,but can't seem to find it, can anyone help?

thanks Ian

I don't recall seeing it here and I would be using the search function just like you would. Nonetheless, the following is pulled from a thread at LEMB:

1. Q: How many of each variant was produced? A: Approx 1800 Doras (Fw190D-9) - max production eight machines/day - only a handful of Fw190D-11s and Fw190D-13s produced
2. Q: How many of these saw service, and from when? Was it only the Fw190D-9? A: First saw service with III./JG54 from September 1944, before equipping Gruppen of JG26 JG2 from November/December. JG26 was the only Geschwader to put Doras into service with all four Gruppen. Fw190D-11s never saw service as such - a handful of machines made it into JV44 and JG300 ..so yes only the Fw190D-9, remember this was only intended as an interim design pending introduction of the Ta152.
3. Q: How many of those which saw service had a gun armament other than the standard 2 x MG131 + 2 x MG151? A: Very very few... Fw190D-11 Fw190D-13 deleted the upper cowl MGs, there may have been provision for mounting the MK108 on either of these variants, don't recall off hand, one of these was the dedicated fighter bomber variant..or maybe that was the Fw190D-12... Some machines went to the SGs in 45, possibly mounting the MK108 ..

The above info is about 6 years old and there ma be more recent published figures.

Late production is estimated from known proposed werknummer blocks and numbers actually found, so there is no absolute answer to the question.

Below are a couple of tables from the JaPo book, originally from 2005, which are about as good as it gets.

IMG_1358_zpse65e41bc.gif

IMG_1359_zpsac00c5a9.gif

Cheers

Steve

Crandall devotes little attention to the subject, quoting somewhere between 1200 and 1700 units.

A xls file I found somewhere has 670 D-9s built. December, February and March data is missing.

The file is for Fw190 1944-45 production.

The numbers agree with Steve's first half of the first graphic.

Missing is Arb Gem with 73 a/c produced.

Steve,

I believe your pages above are assigned werknumnbers, not production. Could be wroong but it LOOKS like werknumbers.

I have 3 Fw 190D-0, 3 Fw 190D-1, 2 Fw 190D-2, 1,805 Fw 190D-9, 17 Fw 190D-11, 3 Fw 190D-12, and 17 Fw 190D-13 unit for a total of 1,850 total BUILT. I do NOT believe all were delivered as some were captured at the factory in new condition, but I don't have the estimated delivered number.

I've had these numbers for years and do NOT recall the source, and I have seen estimates as low as 650 to 700 Fw 190D models of all variants delivered. EVERYONE seems to agree the most numerous model was the Fw 190D-9. The famous Doug Champlin Fw 190D that is now in Paul Allen's collection in Seattle, Washington is, I believe, an Fw 190D-13. It is almost complete and could be flown except they don't have the high-speed automatic engine mixture circuit.

So, it can be started, but only at around idle speed. When it was in Arizona, sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't start. I have heard it run 3 times over the years while Doug had it, always around idle speed.

If you look around, you can find delivery numbers that vary over a more than 100% gap. Some say 9,000 delivered and some say 20,000+ delivered, but many historians point out that slightly more than 20,000 werk numbers were allocated, and NOBODY knows the real number built or delivered due to wartime loss of delivery and acceptance records. Much the same as the Bf 109. The most frequently-quoted delivery number of total Fw 190 airframes is about 12,000. Again, that seems like speculation in the absence of confirming records. Still, some former German Focke-Wulf employess probably are in a MUCH better position to make an estimate than anyone else in the world. I'd be surprised if Aloph Galland's estimates were very far off. His job was to run the fighter program. I've seen old interviews where he estimated the number at about 12,000 total units delivered, and that may have been the source of the estimate originally.

Personally, I don't really know and have zero opportunity to investigate other than in books. Going to Germany to investigate is not in the cards, though I am interested enough to attempt the analysis should the opportunity to do so arise.

Now that I think about, the numbers above came from books I read in the 1960's and 1970's and actually saved the data. You can take your cue about the accuracy of the numbers from those dates. They are specific but not necessarily authoritaative as no currently-avaiable records can confirm or refute the numbers.

Last edited:
The estimations are based on a combination of werknummern assigned and those actually found. If, say, the 20th werknummer of a block has been found then the estimation would be that at least 20 of that block were built.
What other data was used by the JaPo guys I don't know.
These are production figures, not a number for those that were accepted by the BAL or saw service with the Luftwaffe, though what survived of that data might have been used in the estimates.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
As of 31 December 1944, there were 183 Fw190 D-9's on strength with operational units of the 287 had been delivered. Less Dec, some 367 had been built.

FW 190 D-9 Flight Trials

Users who are viewing this thread

Back