Dornier Do22 - Torpedo bomber? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ferret

Recruit
Jan 3, 2007
This is an interesting a rare bird. But was it ever designed, tested or operated as a torpdo bomber?

A search in the interweb is little help so far as some sites list the aircraft a torpedo bomber and others not. the few photos I have found only show it armed with defensive guns and sometimes a small (250kg?) bomb. :confused:

Any help very much appreciated - Thank you.

It could carry a 800kg Torpedo.

There were several version of this aircraft built, including land based versions with landing gear.

Only about 30 of these aircraft were built with 12 going to Yugoslavia, 12 to Greece, and 4 to Finnland.

Only a prototype was built and flown of the land based version.

Thank you both! :D

Info on this plane is scarce and not all mentioned topredo capability - which made me doubt that fact.

Still, would be interesting to know if the Fins, Greeks or Yugoslavians ever used it with a torp as it seems to have mostly been used as a recon plane.

None ever dropped a torpedo in combat.

When Germany invaded Greece all 12 of the Greek aircraft were destroyed before they could take off.

When the Germans invaded Yugoslavia 8 of the 12 Yugoslavian Do 22s were able to evade to Egypt where they flew with the RAF in coastal patrol capacities until there were no longer repair parts.

Thank you again :)

I hadn't thought it had dropped a torpedo in anger. Information on the use of this this plane is so... hard... to... find :(

Isn't that always the way when you have an interest in an obscure aircraft :rolleyes:

There where to many projects and planes developed by the germans during the war so you can't find proper info about every plane...most probably you should ask the russians :lol:

Hi,
I am new in this forum so, hello to everybody!
Since I am a WW2 German aircraft instruments collector for many years, I am about to begin the construction of a Dornier Do-22 instrument panel.
Does enybody have any kind of data, diagramms, plans or photos of the Do22's cockpit?
Many thanks in advance,
Spyros from Greece

Hi Spyros,

>Does enybody have any kind of data, diagramms, plans or photos of the Do22's cockpit?

Have you checked out Peter Cohausz' work on German aircraft cockpits? I don't have his books, but I'd imagine if there an obscure type is documented anywhere at all, it would be in Cohausz' publications.

By the way, seeing you picked the Me 262 for your forum handle, do you have anything on the altitude-compensated speed indicator used in the type?

I believe it's Fl.22241 as listed here:

Luftwaffe Flugzeuge

There are several other Fl. numbers for similar instruments, though.

Supposedly, it has two scales, indicated airspeed up to 400 km/h and true airspeed from 400 km/h to 1000 km/h.

I'm interested in the working principle of the instrument. It seems to have been used as an alternative to a Mach meter in late-war German jet and rocket aircraft, though apparently Mach meters were also in use at least in prototypes.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back