My experiences were different from many as I had wanted to fly since an early age. My father said it was because, during the second war years living in Wash.D.C., our apartment was under the landing approach to Boling Field and I would watch the P-40s fly over until I fell backwards hitting my head. Living in New Orleans in my pre teen years, the days were filled with flying and building, and re-building, models. When 14 years old I joined Civil Air Patrol Cadets at the Lakefront Airport which turned out to be an extraordinary unit. We learned dead recon navigation. aeronautics, basic airmanship as well as military discipline. Seeing an article on the beginning of the USAF Academy in 1956, becoming an academy cadet was the goal. A surprising number of CAP cadets from our cadet squadron were appointed to West Point, Annapolis, and the Airforce academies. Almost all of the rest, both male and female, joined the Airforce except for a few misguided souls who became U.S. Marines. Nearly all of the CAP cadets, before me and after, went into aviation. I graduated high school June 1959 and two weeks later entered the USAF Academy 29 JUN 59. The military parts, while difficult, were expected and managed. What became the problem was the discovery that I was right brain dominate allowing for history, language and general aviation to be easily learned, while advanced math was a very difficult language (analytical calculus and differential equations) followed by advanced physics, needing a strong left brain. As a consequence, I was separated from active duty and finished my six year commitment in the 926th Troop Carrier Sq USAFR as an apprentice, assistant propeller repairman in the prop shop.. Ex academy cadets have no MOS.
Over all a great experience although I did not fly fighters as did many of my USAFA classmates.
I once had a draft card when I reached 18 in high school, but it was not needed.