Dreaded Focke-Wulf Fw190 Rüstsätze kits!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

weinace

Airman 1st Class
Jan 4, 2009
Yorkshire UK
William Green in his 'Warplanes of the Third Reich' shows line drawings of a Rüstsätze 2, which is a 30mm MK108 cannon in an underwing pod. I can find NO other references did this version exist and are there any photographs?
Rüstsätze 3 the 30mm Mk103 in underwing pods; apart from the protoype did this actually fly??
Thanks,
Weinace

throw his book away or use it for a doorstop. R2 is for the 3cm in the wing standard fit on the Sturmböcke.

externally for experimentation only there was talk of the use of the weapons system on the Fw 190A-7/N for night work , didn't achieve the result needed

the MK 103 was also tested with the same nasty results. the twin 2cm waffen pods were used operationally on the Fw 190A-5/U12 the a/c was flown by a friend in the Familie serving in JG 11 in 1943

According to 'Squadron/ Signal No.19: Focke-Wulf Fw 190 in action' :

Rüstsaetze (Field conversion kits)

R1: One WB151/ 20 gun pack under each wing (Fw 190A-6/R1, Fw 190A-7/R1, Fw 190A-8/R1) - also A-5/U-12 (2 versuch aircraft, not mentioned in the Squadron book);
R2: One MK108 30-mm cannon under each wing (Fw 190A-6/R2, Fw 190A-7/R2, Fw 190A-8/R2);
R3: One MK103 30-mm cannon under each wing (Fw 190A-6/R3, Fw 190A-8/R3).

I have a few photos and drawings of these arrangements, drop us your address in a PM and I'll post them to ya.

Evan

R 3 did not exist; there were no MK 103's flown operationaly on any variant.

there was no A-6/R2 the nomenclature should read A-7/MK not R2. the A-8/R2 was the standard Sturm Fw along with R8 variant in late 44. And I will repeat this hopefully for the last time. NO UNDERWING 3cm WEAPONS flown on ops.

there are at least 6-10 known pics of the factory test piece with the long rod MK 103 3cm cannon. why oh why have authors stated it was a production variant is beyond me, it was enver accepted by any JG unit for service.

I have several of the pics and have to admit the A/C looks quite mean but every time the cannons were fired the flight characteristics were thrown off this was also the way it was for outboard MK 108's, re: to have them inboard with enclosed ammo bins

Ju 87G Stukas must have suffered huge performance losses for the same reason then I guess, with those bloody great cannons hanging under the wings...

Thanks to all for replies not least Eric - a font of all knowledge!!! Am I now correct in thinking the following
R2 = 30mm cannon plus R7 armour
R8 =BMW 800TU/TS with heavier headrest
R2/R8 = R2 plus BMW 800TU/TS
R7 = armour kit with strenghtened wing leading edge?
Will keep William Green's book for sentimenatl purposes!!!Am trying to source Peter Roideke's publication - though' ich spreche kein Deutsch'!! Any other good FW190 books!!!
regards,
weinace

Alot of us here can speak German to various degrees...if you need anything translated just post it!

As for the Rüstsaetze, I'll go along with anything Erich says, he has a VAST knowledge on these matters.

Users who are viewing this thread