it happened because she had some big bucks backing her up!
Joe, with your background you know better than I that flying and maintaining your own plane takes BIG bucks today just as it did back then. $500 for a used Jenny doesn't sound like much today but the average yearly income in 1921 was under $1000. If you wanted to fly or even learn to fly the price was high. Earhart's family was not poor but her father was a alcoholic who eventually was unemployed. Her mother took the children to Chicago where they lived on a trust fund left by her grandmother. If she wanted to fly she'd have to earn the funds. Working at a variety of jobs, including photographer, truck driver, and stenographer at the local telephone company for almost a year, she managed to save $1,000 for flying lessons. Then in order to reach the airfield, Earhart had to take a bus to the end of the line, then walk four miles.
Joe, consider that at the time there was nothing like commercial aviation. Once you were a pilot and had an airplane the only way to keep both was barnstorming OR just as today become famous for something and find sponsors. Earhart took her Airister biplane to 14,000 feet and set a record and had her first fame.
From the Kiplinger Magazine 2015:
During the summer of 2014, Amelia Rose Earhart and co-pilot Shane Jordan spent 18 days flying around the world in a Pilatus PC-12 NG plane. Successfully completing the journey at the age of 31, Earhart became the youngest woman to circumnavigate the globe in a single-engine aircraft.
How did you afford your trip around the world? It would have been tough to raise enough money by trying to save or asking people to donate.
So I asked sponsors to take part, and the sponsorships were my sole source of funding for the trip. I considered every manufacturer that had put something on the plane I flew—the wheels, the engine, the avionics inside the cockpit, the propeller, the brake system. I asked myself, What value would these companies get out of being associated with this story?
What major expenses did the trip entail? We had to find an airplane to use, as well as pay for training, fuel, permits to fly through the airspace of other countries, landing fees and visas. Plus, there were travel expenses leading up to the trip, including open-water survival training in Connecticut.
My public relations team was the biggest investment. I wanted to give my sponsors an awesome return on an inspiring aviation story, so I needed to get immense amounts of media coverage.
How did you approach the sponsors? I made sure that I had done all my homework on the companies, learning how they got started and what their founders were passionate about. I also had a mission statement. I think everybody has a calling for a hero's journey, and a lot of aviation companies stand for adventure. That's what I played up in the face-to-face meetings—
an aviator's journey to chase horizons and cross boundaries that haven't been crossed before. I got financial support from 21 of the 22 companies I approached.
How did you publicly recognize your sponsors? I put logos on the outside of the aircraft and wore a flight jacket that had all the sponsor names on it. Another component was a massive social media campaign. On a daily basis, certain sponsors would get recognition on my Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages. I tried to post authentic explanations of something relevant to the flight. For instance, when talking about the engine manufacturer, I included a photograph of the inner workings of the engine.
Also, we got exposure on television and radio and in newspapers. The final press kit showed that over the course of 18 days,
we generated $18 million in ad value for all of the sponsors. I was able to show my sponsors how much they got in return for their contributions.
What was the most challenging part of gathering enough funding for the project? The nerves that came along with making that first phone call to a sponsor. I told myself that the greater impact of my flight was giving people a story to follow and getting other young women interested in aviation. Right now, only about 5% of pilots [in the Air Line Pilots Association] are women. I reminded myself to keep that passion and heart in my voice when I made the phone calls.
What advice would you give to young people who want to finance a big dream? Be humble, and be willing to meet your partners and sponsors halfway. There were certain things about the flight that I would have loved to do bigger or smaller or bolder or a different color. But if people are willing to contribute to you financially, you may
have to bite your tongue. That's okay, because once you're done, you realize that the petty discrepancies along the way mean nothing.