EARLIEST EXTANT MERLIN

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jerryw

Airman 1st Class
May 28, 2008
Trentham, Victoria, AU
An interesting bit of history. This Merlin F was built in early 1937.

Attachments

• AWWM F59 2..bmp
    840.9 KB · Views: 421
There is a Merlin Mk 1 (heavily sectioned) on display in Derby, U.K. as part of the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust collection. It is engine No. 251, ie the 126th Merlin manufactured.

Hello everyone.
I cannot open the image at the top of this thread, too old!
But I think he is referring to the Merlin F at the Auckland war Memorial Museum, which is engine No 59, and is indeed the earliest example.
Only one other ramp-head Merlin exists, the one mentioned at Derby which is a Merlin I.

Pete

I see lots of sites that don't have a place for pictures, loosing the links. Its goofy having to post a photo on some other site, I just don't understand why? Disk and storage space is dirt cheap in this day and age.

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

For those who don't know "MerlinPete"; Peter is one of the most experienced, hands-on, Merlin engine-eers around.

He sells an excellent 'Merlin engine DVD' on ebay, and you can see his ground running engines on youtube, etc.

DAI

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

For those who don't know "MerlinPete"; Peter is one of the most experienced, hands-on, Merlin engine-eers around.

He sells an excellent 'Merlin engine DVD' on ebay, and you can see his ground running engines on youtube, etc.

DAI

Sorry I may be being a bit thick here but what is Merlinpete's name on Youtube?

thanksvintage radials.i love your sites and the work you guys do.ive checked them out a few times in the past. ill i get to work on is old airplane engine cast off i found were i can. Im up to 6 now ans always looking for parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back