eBay: CAC CA-4 WOOMERA (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This (which I have) as well as these:

View attachment 679093
View attachment 679094

Note the painting on the cover was done by Keith Meggs the author:

View attachment 679095
Yes, I have Keith Megg's CAC volumes too, I used to see Keith regularly before the pandemic and lockdowns prevented me from seeing him, by the time I was able to travel again Keith was in hospital and he died before I could see him again. I had been assisting him with research into later CAC and HdeHV activities. He and Joe Vella also used quite few of my cartoons.

Attachments

• MRB1.jpg
    MRB1.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 41
  • HANGPLT3.JPG
    HANGPLT3.JPG
    445.2 KB · Views: 41
  • HANGPLT4.JPG
    HANGPLT4.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 43
  • CLOWN5.JPG
    CLOWN5.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 42
Thank you Nuuumannn, all are actual events, I seldom had to exaggerate, and only the costumes have been changed to protect reputations.
Oh, these attachments are very interesting! In general, the stuff shared here has been very informative and neat to see. I was hoping to find a few of you looking to discuss this. I have been meaning to for some time get the books mentioned here; I recently purchased Lawrence Wackett's biography however and plan to read it once I have a bit more time. I'm also a bit surprised to see you drew these Wingnuts although already in my small time here I've learnt quite a bit!

I think the Woomera stands as one of the most interesting aircraft to me because of its history and how it never really got to see the light of day and that's why I named myself here after it haha. I have been meaning to dedicate a bit more time to research it and I'm somewhat curious if anyone has any particular documents or something tied to it which would be handy. Already the cartoons have been really cool and I think I should also explore a bit more of the role politics played in the CAC because I've been neglecting it.

Oh, these attachments are very interesting! In general, the stuff shared here has been very informative and neat to see. I was hoping to find a few of you looking to discuss this. I have been meaning to for some time get the books mentioned here; I recently purchased Lawrence Wackett's biography however and plan to read it once I have a bit more time. I'm also a bit surprised to see you drew these Wingnuts although already in my small time here I've learnt quite a bit!

I think the Woomera stands as one of the most interesting aircraft to me because of its history and how it never really got to see the light of day and that's why I named myself here after it haha. I have been meaning to dedicate a bit more time to research it and I'm somewhat curious if anyone has any particular documents or something tied to it which would be handy. Already the cartoons have been really cool and I think I should also explore a bit more of the role politics played in the CAC because I've been neglecting it.
Glad you like the cartoons, I was an inspector at the CAC/HdeH factory in Port Melbourne from 1981 until I moved to the hangar at Melbourne Airport for the RAAF 707 tanker project in 89, I stayed there and eventually the hangar was taken over by Tenix and finally, BAE Systems, when I left, then went back as a part-time casual doing VIP aircraft ground handling, until 2016.

I started doing the cartoons after myself and another inspector were watching people at work, we decided it looked like watching the clowns at the circus, I doodled a quick amateurish cartoon which became popular, I eventually ended up doing more cartoon work than inspection work.... even doing it at home. At different times I managed to annoy both management and union officials. The examples above are probably the most 'technical' most of the others in my folder are simpler.

Attachments

• 38941_1357463498049_7322636_n.jpg
    38941_1357463498049_7322636_n.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 1934614_1044620837178_500053_n.jpg
    1934614_1044620837178_500053_n.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 1934614_1044620877179_2147834_n.jpg
    1934614_1044620877179_2147834_n.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 79928333_10212171958293936_3285616416270581760_n.jpg
    79928333_10212171958293936_3285616416270581760_n.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 30
Glad you like the cartoons, I was an inspector at the CAC/HdeH factory in Port Melbourne from 1981 until I moved to the hangar at Melbourne Airport for the RAAF 707 tanker project in 89, I stayed there and eventually the hangar was taken over by Tenix and finally, BAE Systems, when I left, then went back as a part-time casual doing VIP aircraft ground handling, until 2016.

I started doing the cartoons after myself and another inspector were watching people at work, we decided it looked like watching the clowns at the circus, I doodled a quick amateurish cartoon which became popular, I eventually ended up doing more cartoon work than inspection work.... even doing it at home. At different times I managed to annoy both management and union officials. The examples above are probably the most 'technical' most of the others in my folder are simpler.
Note: There was a hate/hate relationship between CAC and HdeH (often called Dirty Harrys both by CAC and the RAAF).

Ah, interesting! Very intriguing to hear, I hope you're doing well. I haven't expanded much on HdeH outside of a few bits of googling and Wikipedia article reading at points

Ah, interesting! Very intriguing to hear, I hope you're doing well. I haven't expanded much on HdeH outside of a few bits of googling and Wikipedia article reading at points
HdeH was a Sydney-based company so there was always a rivalry between them and our beloved Melbourne based CAC, we always thought HdeH was a bit 'shonky', hence the "Dirty Harry" nickname.

Oddly enough CAC always seemed to get on OK with GAF next door, maybe because there was a constant interchange of staff, when one company was downsizing the other was hiring, also we were usually making different parts of the same aeroplane so we needed to co-operate. It was not unusual to see people poking parts or drawing through the chain link fence separating us.

The RAAF also didn't seem to like HdeH, the RAF ResEng and DQA were most upset when"Dirty Harry" took over. Things did tend to go downhill quickly after that, as one person said "The soul has gone out of the company".

Below, CAC, with GAF (aka DAP, and later ASTA, now Boeing, part shown on the left). Our company name tags were attached with Velcro.

1669693572346.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back