Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Curtiss P-40E-1 41-36504 retained in USA. Collided with another aicraft on takeoff at Hillgrove AAB, RI Dec 27, 1942. 27-12-1942 Sunday

View attachment 717681

Must have been repaired as it's wearing mid-1943 markings. It's been fitted with the fillet on the vertical stabilizer as well.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Must have been repaired as it's wearing mid-1943 markings. It's been fitted with the fillet on the vertical stabilizer as well.
Greg

The fin fillet was actually fitted to late model E-1's as built, affecting the last 500 aircraft (this is one of those 500). It's what makes telling what model you are looking at extremely difficult when it comes to late model E-1 and K-1/K-5 models when you cannot see the serials (also why it "seems" CBI theatre and Russia got far more K-1/K-5 models than they actually did).

She suffered an engine failure and force landing in Jul 1942, and a further accident 27th Dec 42 (as above), and as such you can see she has "fishtailed" exhausts, vice the original "Pot " type she would have left the factory with - likely indicating an engine change (I'll see if I can confirm later tonight). IIRC this picture was taken when she was flying with a Training Unit out of Eagle Pass Jul/ early Aug 1943.

Buz

Greg

The fin fillet was actually fitted to late model E-1's as built, affecting the last 500 aircraft (this is one of those 500). It's what makes telling what model you are looking at extremely difficult when it comes to late model E-1 and K-1/K-5 models when you cannot see the serials (also why it "seems" CBI theatre and Russia got far more K-1/K-5 models than they actually did).

She suffered an engine failure and force landing in Jul 1942, and a further accident 27th Dec 42 (as above), and as such you can see she has "fishtailed" exhausts, vice the original "Pot " type she would have left the factory with - likely indicating an engine change (I'll see if I can confirm later tonight). IIRC this picture was taken when she was flying with a Training Unit out of Eagle Pass Jul/ early Aug 1943.

Buz
Good info, Buz!

86th Fighter Squadron Group Photo Lobo 559

1687255806902.png

Unca Bud IV The pilot of this aircraft was Captain Marshall W. Sneed. He was with the 57th Fighter Group, 65th Fighter Squadron. Capt. Sneed was shot down on February 22, 1943 in the Bay of Gabes, Tunisia, while attacking German forces in their flight to escape from Africa. His body was never recovered and he is memorialized at the North African American Cemetery in Carthage

1687256262654.png

from Marshall Sneed | American Air Museum

1687256406698.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back