eBay: Douglas B-18A Bolo

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In 1940 there was an All American Aviation show at Bolling Field where, tucked away in a corner of one hangar, there was a B-18 that was trial-fitted with a 75mm cannon. It was a crude lash-up but apparently it gave valuable data for adapting the B-25 to carry it.

View attachment 705328
Wish I could find a picture without the tarp cover over it.

Here is one from the forum.
Douglas B-18A Bolo 75mm gun copy.jpg

Is the camouflaged plane really the same as the one with the installed gun? I'm asking because in every B-25 "Bible" we can find the left photo with the explanation how this particular frame has been used for trials by Army Ordnance Department in 1938 (Capt. Horace Quinn). If the camouflaged a/c is the same but 2 years later, that's a great find! :hello1:
The blurred photo at the top left was cropped out of a larger image showing P-36s, in an article from the "Curtiss Fly Leaf" magazine article on the Bolling Field exhibition that happened January 19-24, 1940. It wasn't just a file photo, it was taken at the event, because the article goes into specifics about the armament on the three P-36s in that image. So the B-18 with the weird belly covering was definitely in the same hangar at that time. Since the blotchy camouflage pattern on its nose is the same type as is shown on the lower left photo, as is the bunting on the wall (not a usual hangar feature!) it seems that this must have been the 75mm gun plane. I took a closer look at the structure that's revealed around the gun in the lower right photo, specifically the frames, and they do appear to match what's on the lower left photo. Ditto for the clearer view in "special ed"'s image too. It all matches up, and I'm sure in my own mind that this is the same B-18.

1675448535512.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Painted nose turret

s-l1600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back