It breaks my heart to see that many of these pictures appear to have been removed from scrap books. The context is lost forever.
True, that's the way I think too. When I buy scrapbooks or albums containing photos, service records/other docs, mementos and curios that WWII service personnel, whether Allied or Axis, have compliled in a scrap book, diary or photo album I usually photograpgh the pages with a vertical camera totally intact, (just as they were when that vservice member or his/her family members last saw them), before disturbing, rearrranging or removing anything. As a
photo archivist, it is necessary to remove the individual photos and scan them separated from the other objects because those objects can interfere with the process of scanning before the final step, restoring it to as close to original condition as is possible.
Since this thread is on
eBay auction items on subject of
Japanese WWII aviation, army & naval forces as well, here are some examples of the amazing scrapbooks and albums I've either won or lost over more than 25 years of buying and selling on eBay Auctions. Also, some of the best and most expensive, I didn't bother even bidding on because I knew they would ultimately sell for a zillion USD$$$.
Most recently, a very rare album owned by a Japanese Army Air Force (JAAF) member who served at the Southerrn Front (South Pacific), probably in the Netherlands East Indies (NEI):
Initial research indicates this album was either a member of, or stationed with, a member of a known JAAF Transport Unit operating Nakajima AT-4 twin engined transports somewhere in the NEI or perhaps another SE Asia area/theatre (to be revealed when cconfirmed by a Japanese language WW2 Aviation researcher).
Sorry for the watermarked embargoed images being the most interesting, but it is necessary to protect the considerable investment made to secure such rare & valuable Japapanese WW2 Aviation material.
More to come.
JEC