eBay: Messerschmitt Me163

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

These two images of Yellow 25 have show something I don't recall seeing before. The canopy hood hinges, which were rather "clunky" (and well documented) apparently have fairings in these two shots.

Can anybody venture a guess as to when these were taken postwar, and if the markings are original or not, especially the rudder?

Can anybody venture a guess as to when these were taken postwar, and if the markings are original or not, especially the rudder?

According to Phil Butler's War Prizes book (Midland, 1994) the Me 163 with the code 25 is 191904, which lived at RAF Colerne for awhile, then at RAF St Athan before going back to Germany, eventually to the Luftwaffen Museum at Gatow, where it is now. If I was to guess, the image could have been taken at Farnborough. From looking at the photos above, the swastika looks inauthentic, but the '25' and cross look genuine. As for the canopy fairings, the ones on 191904 look to be as the common examples, so I can't answer the query about the hinges.

The aircraft today on display in Germany.

AM220 wrknr 191914

Me 163B 191916 of the National Aviation Museum, Canada Aircraft of JG 400. Surrendered at Husum and shipped to the RAE. Despatched from Farnborough to No. 6 MU, Brize Norton, on 1st August 1945. Recorded at No.6 MU in the Census of 21st March 1946 and despatched to No. 47 MU, Sealand, on 17th June. Crated at Sealand for shipment to Canada and left Salford Docks aboard the SS Manchester Commerce on 28th August 1946, arriving a Montreal on 9th September. Later stored in various locations until arriving at Rockcliffe where it is currently on display at the CNAC with the code 'Yellow 26'. There is some doubt about the correction Werk Nummer of this aircraft which has also been reported both as 191913 and 191916.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread