eBay: Messerschmitt Me163

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All over he net
me-163 art.jpg
me-163 art1.jpg
me-163 art+.jpg

Last edited:
Yep...you can mark up another one for "Winkle Brown"

Famous Royal Navy test pilot and Scotsman Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown (1919 – 2016) flew this Me 163B Komet on June 1oth, 1945 at Husum. In doing so he became the only Allied pilot ever to fly a Komet with the rocket engine running.
On May 26th, 1945 Brown had completed 3 unpowered flights at 20,000 feet in an Me 163A that was towed by a Messerschmitt Bf 110 flown by a German crew to gain some familiarity with the aircraft. He then flew the Me 163B up to 32,000 feet and wrote in his logbook "Fantastic!" but he has also said it was a difficult and highly dangerous aircraft to fly!
8winkle_-brown-photographed-in-september-2015-beside-our-komet-the-aircraft-he-flew-in-june-1945.jpg
Scotsman Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown beside the Me 163B Komet he flew in June 1945 (September 2015 photo source: Scottish National Museum of Flight)

The Survivors: Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet "The Devil's Sled"

Eric "Winkle" Brown (called Winkle because he was small and slight).
An absolutely immense force in the world of aviation, he holds the WORLD (not worlds, there is only one that we live on) record for so many things that are to do with flying and especially Aircraft carriers where it was "Brown's world."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Er...
His carrier landings were 2,271 (that's right TWO THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY ONE) and his take offs EVEN MORE 2,407 He also did so many firsts when landing and taking off from carriers, first landing of tricycle undercarriage planes, first Jet take off and landings etc etc He also stretched back into the pre electronic landing age where the pilot judged the landing angles by eye and perception and a very nervous "Batman" (he was exposed to the oncoming plane) waving what looked like Table tennis bats gave the pilot tips by angling his arms.
He also holds the world record for different types of plane flown, if you've got a coffee and 10 minutes you can check them out here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li...
I met Eric one day when visiting the Aero museum at RAF Cosford in the UK, with multiple types of aircraft displayed in about 2012. This small slight elderly gentleman was accompanied by a Royal Navy officer of some sort of rank who stood out by having what seemed like a metre of gold braid over his immaculate uniform and so many medal ribbons he looked like a library of the worlds colours !
The deference offered by this officer to the lounge suited gentleman was touching to watch, and after seeing both of them striding over exhibit barrier ropes and touching aircraft tenderly without the museum staff objecting marked them up as VIPs. When they both returned to the path the elderly gentleman turned to me and said "Sometimes seems like a dream" with a gentle Scots lilt to the accent, which is how I got an introduction by the RN officer to Eric "Winkle" Brown.
Apparently they were visiting for a treat for Eric and reacquainting him with aircraft types many of which he'd flown. We chatted amiably for 5 minutes and I was very happy to have met this Titan of aviation personally.
Eric died in February 2016 at 97 years of age, truly "A life less ordinary". RIP Eric.
Oh...as a postscript, there was reported a US Navy pilot who'd been given a sole mission for a few years to try and exceed Eric's carrier landing record by repeated attempts when ever they could be worked in to the carriers schedule. Apparently he gave up.

Last edited:
In regards to the "first" tricycle landing on a carrier, I would hazard a guess that they meant the first British pilot to do so. Brown did this on 4 April 1945, however, the USN was operating a Lockheed XJO-3 (BuNo 1267), which was a Model 12 with nose gear, for trials of a twin on a carrier.
This was done aboard the USS Lexington (CV-2) in 1939.

That same Lockheed also was used to test an aerial intercept radar.

Scotsman Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown beside the Me 163B Komet he flew in June 1945 (September 2015 photo source: Scottish National Museum of Flight)

I've sat in the cockpit of that bird. Did some minor restoration work on it once, although I'm not responsible for its colour scheme!

43346092935_fcbb4654e5_b.jpg
1807 National Museum of Flight East Fortune 191659

http://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/warbirds/messerschmitt-me-163-komet

Net Messerschmitt Me 163 B Butterfly tail proposal. Was intended to make landing of this tricky little aircraft a little easier by allowing a drag chute to be fitted. Concept was tested on Me 109 G-0 but proved to be wanting so not developed.
Me-163 V tail (2).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back