eBay: Non type specific. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You are right. That's the Stearman XA-21 with rebuilt pilot cockpit to the conventional stepped configuration .. a couple of the web sourcese call it the A-21.

Stearman XA-21_.jpg

Stearman XA-21 rebuilt cockpit.jpg

the pic source: Stearman XA-21 | World War Photos

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Note behind the PT-20 is one of the A-17s with a closed off rear cockpit.
Ed, I am going to disagree with you on that one, I believe there is one A-17 and one P-35 behind the PT-20. Glad you brought it up though, I didn't look that close at the background. Always nice to see a P-35 picture.

Using a magnifier. The single seater does appear to have retract gear, but the doors look like T-6. The only single seat T-6 type in those days would be a P-64. You are correct that it is not an A-17. The canopy does not resemble the large curve of the P-35 but could be North American style similar to T-6

Ed, I agree with your comment about the lack of clear panels on the rear canopy. But I think it does match the shape of the P-35 Canopy, the bracing of the sliding portion of the canopy also seems to match that of a P-35, and the general shape of the Fuselage is also correct for a P-35. Also you can see the rear under wing streamlining pod for the rearward retracting semi retractable main landing gear, and to my eyes the large fairings on the front of the gear is also visible. Also the way the front fairing of the gear covers part of the tire, almost to the top of the wheel cover also points toward a P-35.

It seems to be painted in temporary camouflage so possibly the rear clear panels are over painted? Or a wild shot in the dark it may be this A/C repaired after the collision damage? Either way I suspect this photo was taken prewar or early 1942 by the markings on all A/C.

I agree it is not a standard P-35 if it is one. But it has to many features of a P-35 to not be some version or modification of the design to my eyes.

p35_08-1.jpg

Source Seversky P-35 Color Photographs

Fairey Firefly T-1 MB721

1639047076742.png

WINGS PALETTE - Lockheed Model 10/12/14/18/C-60 Electra/Lodestar - Spain (Nationalists) The aircraft on other camouflage consisting from the Luftwaffe colours RLM61/62/63/65. This aircraft was bought for the Spain Republicans by Robert Cuse from the May Company (a chain of department stores) in December 1936. It was shipped on the Mar Cantabrico with seven other aircraft and captured at sea by Nationalists, whose air chief General Kindelan used as his personal transport.

1639051245638.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back