eBay: North American B-25 Mitchell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've only seen Navy and Marine B-25s in that configuration. Not saying the Air Force didn't have them but must be a rarity. The Navy took 224 B-24Js, re-designated PBJ-1J.
That's a PBJ-1D, Geo. Check my earlier post. It's a plane from VMB-612 - same as the previous one. The "hose nose" was strictly a Navy-modification.

OK. I was going by this..

1571938330109.png

Pathfinding here is ment to find a lost plane and guide it home. Not the bomber variant.
I really don't think there was such type of "finding lost planes" by a "pathfinder". How did they know where to search? Just flying here an there, using the radar? And what if the plane has crashed in the ocean? A PBJ can find it of course, but that's all. This would be a typical SAR-mission for a "Catalina".
I'm sure there have been cases when a/cs from a particular squadron did a search, looking for a missing friend, but this wasn't the rule.
IMHO the author of the texts is the former owner of the photos and he tried to put some historical information together, which isn't very accurate in all cases.

Just found out that PBJ1-Ds also carried rockets, thanks Yves. Learn something here every day

The above two records give a very good information about PBJ being used for night or daylight rocket-missions. 5" HVAR aka "Holy Moses" could be carried by both "Mitchells" and PBJs. The rocket launchers have been manufactured by NAA as a kit and could be installed on older models (like D) too, 4 under each wing. I think I've already posted the next photo, showing a B-25G-12 from the 41-st BG. modified with the J2 nose and with rocket launchers visible under the wing.
58955869d9ebb_41stBG001croppeda.jpg.6cf5c5326e9edbedf5ec28fd34ff2757.jpg

And if you ever wondered what was the correct sequence when firing the HVARs, here it is:
qIV719y.jpg

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back