EL-2 Goldfinch Hybrid Electric STOL

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

Captain
8,972
20,286
Joined
May 30, 2011
Location
Cape Canaveral
From Flying Magazine:

Electra, the manufacturer of a hybrid-electric short takeoff and landing (eSTOL) aircraft designed to operate from soccer field-sized spaces, has reached a critical milestone in the development of its flagship, nine-passenger design.
The manufacturer on Wednesday announced that its EL-2 Goldfinch demonstrator—a two-seat version of the design used in testing—achieved its first piloted "ultra-short" takeoff and landing, lifting off with just 170 feet of runway and touching down with under 114 feet ground roll.
During a test campaign, the aircraft, which utilizes a unique blown-lift design, flew as slow as 25 knots during takeoff and landing. It reached an altitude of 6,500 feet and maxed out with a flight time of one hour and 43 minutes.

Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 16-47-56 Electra Achieves Takeoff Landing With Under 170 Feet of Runway.png
 
I sat up front on an Airbus A320 I think it was. Talk about engine noise!!!! I was almost directly in front of the intake on the right side! Was that a deafening experience! Not quite as bad a a Tupelov Tu-95 though.
 
I sat up front on an Airbus A320 I think it was. Talk about engine noise!!!! I was almost directly in front of the intake on the right side! Was that a deafening experience! Not quite as bad a a Tupolev Tu-95 though.

I think your A320 must have been a lemon: I've flown on many Airbus single-aisle aircraft and they are quiet and smooth.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back