EL-2 Goldfinch Hybrid Electric STOL

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
From Flying Magazine:

Electra, the manufacturer of a hybrid-electric short takeoff and landing (eSTOL) aircraft designed to operate from soccer field-sized spaces, has reached a critical milestone in the development of its flagship, nine-passenger design.
The manufacturer on Wednesday announced that its EL-2 Goldfinch demonstrator—a two-seat version of the design used in testing—achieved its first piloted "ultra-short" takeoff and landing, lifting off with just 170 feet of runway and touching down with under 114 feet ground roll.
During a test campaign, the aircraft, which utilizes a unique blown-lift design, flew as slow as 25 knots during takeoff and landing. It reached an altitude of 6,500 feet and maxed out with a flight time of one hour and 43 minutes.

Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 16-47-56 Electra Achieves Takeoff Landing With Under 170 Feet of Runway.png

Do y'all suppose that 1 hour and 43 min is the maximum time you can listen to that many props and not go nuts?
They are typically a lot quieter than normal ones - at least the versions I have heard are.

I sat up front on an Airbus A320 I think it was. Talk about engine noise!!!! I was almost directly in front of the intake on the right side! Was that a deafening experience! Not quite as bad a a Tupelov Tu-95 though.

I sat up front on an Airbus A320 I think it was. Talk about engine noise!!!! I was almost directly in front of the intake on the right side! Was that a deafening experience! Not quite as bad a a Tupolev Tu-95 though.

I think your A320 must have been a lemon: I've flown on many Airbus single-aisle aircraft and they are quiet and smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back