Elevator trim during Combat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well you found the answer yourself KK so I need say no more :)

I had read about the boost tabs but did not know how they worked until seeing the video. What an elegant engineering solution. As you know, I am not unbiased, but I believe the Corsair when seen in those videos, more than lives up to it's reputation. It is a clean but powerful and agile looking AC, especially when one knows it's capabilities. It is unfortunate that it's early teething problems did not allow it to play a greater role in the war. I remember reading a description of how the Corsair flew by Frank Tallman(Tallmantz Aviation, Tallman and Mantz owned a bunch of warbirds and rented them and flew them for Hollywood.) He said the Corsair had moves like a leopard, it was so agile, while the P51 flew like it was on rails.

The Corsair was one of the best fighters of the entire war, there's no doubt about it.

It was an aeronautical and engineering tour de force in that being designed in 1938 for use as a ship board fighter, with the attendent penalties imposed by the necessity of landings and takeoffs from a carrier deck and in a sea going environment, it became without question as fine a piston engined fighter bomber as ever built and arguably was as fine an all around piston engined fighter ever built. Of course, all great airplanes have great engines and the R2800 meets that definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back