Engine cleaning (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Daddio

Airman
Oct 15, 2007
Fresno, CA
www.lycon.com
The wind generator I have the honor to operate is an old R2800-CB3 from a DC-6. She is running great these days, but she's old and hasn't seen a good cleaning in far too long. Is a generic Napa variety engine degreaser the thing to use? Pressure washer? Steam cleaner? Toothbrush? I could see spending a couple hours to a couple days just getting rid of all the grime and leftover charred bird nest twigs I couldn't reach.
Thanks!

The wind generator I have the honor to operate is an old R2800-CB3 from a DC-6. She is running great these days, but she's old and hasn't seen a good cleaning in far too long. Is a generic Napa variety engine degreaser the thing to use? Pressure washer? Steam cleaner? Toothbrush? I could see spending a couple hours to a couple days just getting rid of all the grime and leftover charred bird nest twigs I couldn't reach.
Thanks!

Napa generic degreaser works little better than spit. Gunk engine cleaner EB-1 (not the foamy type) works fine. If you can rinse it off with hot water it works quite well.

tom

Turco puts out several brands of cleaners specifically designed for aircraft engines, you could probably go with any kind of engine de-greaser. Oven cleaner works great on exhaust stacks, watch exposed rubber items.

I'd go for a air compressor for cleaning and blowing out. A water pressure washer is too abrasive as the fins tend to corrode a lot with age.

Interesting note from the 1957 Double Wasp CB Maintenance manual:
If necessary, wash the exterior of the engine throroughly with kerosene or cleaning solvent, being careful to keep the cleaning fluid away from the ignition cable assembly. Dry the engine with compressed air.

If necessary, wash the exterior of the engine throroughly with kerosene or cleaning solvent, being careful to keep the cleaning fluid away from the ignition cable assembly. Dry the engine with compressed air.

Thats what I use. And can follow with some warm soapy water too.
I would not use a pressure washer, like the one guy says, it can ruin stuff.
If it is going to set and not be used I use LPS 2 and 3 in some areas, to keep down corrosion WD40 won't last very long.
The oil cooler, you may be able to spray it out with a pressure washer at a distance, close to the nozzle is too much pressure.

Daddio said:
That's the Military way! and my ol' man was a Powerman in the USAF from '45-'65.
Let me tell you, when I was growing up, I spent MANY an hour "helping" him by washing out engine parts in a pan of gasoline with a paint brush.
In fact, in the 70's, he hooked up a refer pump to a water tank, connected an electronic automatic power shut off and set the pressure to 60 PSI, just so he had some air to blow those parts off with.
I've since "pumped" that tank up to 90 PSI, so I can run my air tools off it.

If you have dry skin, the fuel / solvent will tend to dry it out more, so whenever you take an extended break, wash your hands and apply a little lotion to 'em.
It'll help.
In fact, if you want, there's some stuff on the market that you apply to your hands and don't wipe off.
They keep your skin moist, and you don't get so dirty, cuz once you wash it off, it takes all the dirt and grime with it.
I forget the name, ("Liquid Gloves"? something like that) but I've worked with a lot of guys in the past who loved that stuff.

Elvis

So I'm finally getting around to this. I picked up one of those pneumatic solvent spray guns and went through a gallon of kerosene in a little over an hour of spraying here there. Some of this grime is so thick, she will require several treatments at the spa.
Question: As this gun has lots of overspray misting all over the place, what's the danger to the ignition cable assembly, as mentioned in those P&W instructions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back