Engine Numbering (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello Everyone,

I have often wondered how the engines on multi-engine planes are numbered. I have heard many versions on how they are numbered. Examples of a four-engine plane: 1.) 12|34 2.) 31|24 3.) 41|23 and the list goes on. Can someone clarify for good what the real numbering is?

Der Mensch said:
Hello Everyone,

I have often wondered how the engines on multi-engine planes are numbered. I have heard many versions on how they are numbered. Examples of a four-engine plane: 1.) 12|34 2.) 31|24 3.) 41|23 and the list goes on. Can someone clarify for good what the real numbering is?

Numbered?!? Left to right 1,2,3,and 4. I've never heard any other way an I worked on multi engine planes ranging in size to a Piper Scenica to a B747, C-130s and P-3s on the military side.

Are you talking about recip engine cubic inch displacement? R1830, R2800, R3350?!?

Der Mensch said:
No what I meant by the 31|24 (or others) is that the engines were numbered left to right 3 1 2 4 with the | representing the fusalage.

Engines are always numbered 1,2,3,4 left to right, sitting in the pilots seat (the left seat). Now the starting sequence on a specific aircraft may reflect what your looking for. Depending on the aircraft sometimes #2 was started first because it carried a generator or air power unit that were used to start the other engines. In other cases it might of been an engine that housed a hydraulic pump in its accessory section with that pump being needed to work a piece of equipment. Sometimes 2 and 3 were started first and as the aircraft were taxing 1 and 4 were started. Hope this answers your question...

The only thing I could think of is the Mynarski Lanc, being operated in Canada has an "operation spec" (Issued by Transport Canada, they work similar to the FAA here in the states) which dictates how the aircraft is operated, including start procedures. Perhaps either the operator or a DOT puke decided to have things done differently....

FLYBOYJ said:
Der Mensch said:
No what I meant by the 31|24 (or others) is that the engines were numbered left to right 3 1 2 4 with the | representing the fusalage.

Engines are always numbered 1,2,3,4 left to right, sitting in the pilots seat (the left seat). Now the starting sequence on a specific aircraft may reflect what your looking for. Depending on the aircraft sometimes #2 was started first because it carried a generator or air power unit that were used to start the other engines. In other cases it might of been an engine that housed a hydraulic pump in its accessory section with that pump being needed to work a piece of equipment. Sometimes 2 and 3 were started first and as the aircraft were taxing 1 and 4 were started. Hope this answers your question...

Are you sure this is true for all nations? Also, are you sure it was always the case?

This is sort of off topic and I can not say it is true for all nations or for all aircraft but just an example is my Blackhawk the number the 1 engine is on the left side and the number 2 engine is on the right side.

Lunatic said:
FLYBOYJ said:
Der Mensch said:

Are you sure this is true for all nations? Also, are you sure it was always the case?

For the most part - YES at least for Western aircraft....

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
This is sort of off topic and I can not say it is true for all nations or for all aircraft but just an example is my Blackhawk the number the 1 engine is on the left side and the number 2 engine is on the right side.

Helicopters may be backwards and (no pun) ;) and defined by the manufacturing, but engine numbering is pretty standard....

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
No I was actually agreeing with you. You said engines were numbered 1,2,3,4... from left to right. My number 1 is on the left my number 2 is on the right.
Oh ok, I'm backwards, its from working on helicopters! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back