All Data from
WWII Aircraft Performance, in their FW-190 section. Plus the Jumo 213A charts shown here.
I took various 801D numbers (all at max settings without C3).
Two sources agreed well. The USAAF tests, which I think were on a static rig to NACA specs. There are 2, with and without the geared fan.
These agree quite well with FW's own climbing numbers, that is without any (or minimal) RAM air.
The FW numbers are on level flight, that is with ram air increasing boost. This increases power and delays FTH.
I suspect the very high altitude ones (30,000ft+) are a bit high, because by that point IAS would be getting very low.
A very important factor often forgotten, especially with Merlins on high boost, they couldn't always get the 25lb boost without high speeds ramming air into the intakes.
Basically the BMW numbers look good, excepting the very high altitude with ram air, and overall cross check quite well.
Now the Jumo 213A numbers, taken from charts shown here with no MW-50 or GM1, but at 3,250 rpm, thus basic maximum power numbers without power boosting.
I assume they include ram air, but then again? Confirmation from anyone would be nice. If they are static then the correct comparison would be with the 801 static (or climbing) numbers.
Now I took the numbers at min/max values and back calculated the in between ones, to enable like by like comparisons.
PS is corrected for to BHP. KM to feet.
The X-axis is chosen to shown to various FTH and min value heights, so it is not linear (hence the shape is a bit different from the normal ones). Later I'll write a program to calculate it all at every 100 feet or so to give nicer charts.
Plus all numbers can move +/- 1% or so because I am converting charts to numbers for calculations.
But the results, I was bemused by them (so I double and triple checked them,
no guarantee of course, if anyone finds an error please let me know and I'll fix it).
The 190D was developed as an interim design to give better high level performance to the 190. Needed for interceptions of the USAAF bombers and escort fighters.
The 213A was chosen for this, but the 801D was superior or equal in that 20,000-30,000ft region. Only at 35,000ft does it pull ahead and not by much.
At low altitudes the Jumo appears more powerful (but has that funny 'defying the laws of physics' shape again) up to about 17,000ft (more with MW-50 of course).
And yet this was supposed to improve high altitude performance?
Starts to explain why the 190D performance numbers, without power boosting, were not that great (still good though).
Any ideas anyone?
Nice thing about this, once I have written my program (those numbers were just done in Excel), is that later I will be able to overlay all sort of different engines.