Engine thoughts

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oct 20, 2010
This is a great site and now I understand the Yellow band.
I have a few engines that I have worked on over the years and seen a lot over that time.
From what I can see so far it's important that note the difference between documented knowledge and personal experience. All else is opinion.
As I find time I will contribute to the conversation.
Mike
another day at the office
my personal collection
I have thousands of photos of engines we have done and are doing and will post some as I have time.
Any special requests on an engine?

I guess some later engines, and/or some engines that are not 'common knowledge' deserve a good coverage. But anything works for me, as long as it is piston engine

Re Vintage V-12's,
I started the company that became Vintage V-12's Back in the 1970's at Chino airport.
Since moving to Tehachapi Ca. I have added Vintage Carburetors, Vintage Radials and Vintage Aero Engines. The various shops have a total of 32 employees and we are currently working on 20 or so engines.
You gotta love engines to be a part of all this.
Mike

Anything with pistons is music to me. Back in the day Mike sent me a great email when I asked him about the 605. Very good internals as I expected and it ran fine on 110LL. No need for special fuels as some think would be needed because of brown coal derived fuels the Germans used in WWII. Thanks again Mike for the answer.

Hi Mike, I'd love to have had a chance to work with you, back in the day. I have a quick question, with all the restrictive regulations in Ca, and cost of living what keeps your business there?

The buildings are bolted to the foundations.
That and Tehachapi has 4 seasons and is 2 hours to LA.
We can be at the beach or ski in 3 hours or so.
Of course working in California one learns that every loop-hole has a matching regulation!

I will have more on the Jumo engines later this summer.

I have alot of respect for you, and the others that started your own AC engine business in the day. Something I wish I would have had the connections to do back then.

I'm doing a lot of research on Argus engines and propellers right now, particularly the As 410.

I was doing some research on the Argus because I was curious about it's relative success compared to the Ranger V-770, and found your post. First of all, I thought I was the only one who had such arcane thoughts, but I was happy to see that at least one other person had the same ideas

In any case, I was wondering if you made any further progress with your query. I haven't discovered anything that isn't generally available on the Internet, but would be glad to step up my efforts and share anything I found if this is still an active project for you.

I was a professional mechanic for years and have a passion for engines and aircraft, and the evolution of the aircraft piston engine in the first part of the 20th century.

I hope to hear from you,

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread