Engineman's WW2 Aircraft Parts Quiz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd say Battle of Britain era 109E.
It is correct for possibly earlier and 109 E, 109 F and 109 G1/2 However, I suspect the F/G, as the serial number is high and it only has the tiny step for a minimal id tag, not the earlier larger one. Also, most photo's of 109 E and earlier seem to have the all-black tyres, the 1941/42 F/G seem to all have whitewalls.
Generally, it is in great condition, all complete with tube that inflates and tyre only slightly worn . Obtained from Germany 20 years ago, another loft relic.

Eng

The bottom box has two mechanical inputs and electrical connections. Interruptor mechanism for 109/190 fuselage guns? One of those mechanisms that I know works, but can't get my head around how!

Hi ian,
Good thoughts, however not interrupter. These two parts work together in a propeller system..

Eng

That top item looks like the connection flex shaft to the gearing to change the prop pitch. Connects a VDM motor to the back gear plate behind the spinner.
Got to give you that one Tony! Extra points still available for the most famous aircraft that used this system?

Eng

It does look like a propeller pitch governor to me as well, is the top black part the speed sensor and the lower part the Pitch change servo to adjust the speed to the range selected?
Hi cammerjeff, One part is a reversable motor, the other is an electric contact limiting switch.

Eng

Got to give you that one Tony! Extra points still available for the most famous aircraft that used this system?

Eng
Since Jumo props were hydraulic, I would proffer any German aircraft using the VDM props, which were mostly DB engined airframes. I am attaching two images, one from a DB603A and the other from a DB605, both having VDMs. I believe these may show the electric motor or mechanism for blade change, but I know you will know for certain. I suspect the Bf109? Thanks for the guess what test!

Attachments

• 20210930_061804.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220608_113659.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
DB603 water pump
Very nice Tony. The 603 "water pump" is a steam extractor. These are found in many complex high-performance cooling systems and are designed to extract the steam from the solid water by centripetal force as the mix goes round the "snail", wet steam is allowed out of the central port and is fed into the header tanks or pipes.

Eng

So, we are just a little off the mark with my parts! However, VDM prop control is the main thing here, often seen on DB engines but also on some earlier Junkers 210/211, and some radials inc BMW 132 and 801.
Here is a pic of my components on a contemporary famous fighter.

Pics from Historic War history online.

So the top pic shows the parts on this thread just too the right of the airman looking at the engine. They are mounted on a plate on the RHS front of the motor.
The electric motor is mounted above the range of movement controller. This is the early manual prop control fitted to the early Bf 109 E. This is just a V.P. prop
with the pitch switch inconveniently on the instrument panel. I think some aircraft with this system possibly began to have the later throttle mounted pitch
thumbswitch but, I have no proof. The switch box only provided an electrical fine and a coarse pitch stop, there was no automatic pitch control.
The lower pic shows the later (early 1940 onwards) Automatic system. The combined motor with limit stops is seen on the forward side of the engine. Also visible with
care, is the centrifugal governor on top of the engine. This development linked the throttle position to the governor to give defined rpm with throttle position in Auto
setting. There was also the manual thumbswitch on the throttle for manual or "Hand" control of pitch.
Here are my early system parts with the info labels. You can see that the pitch limit switch is dated 1936.
Cheers
Eng

So was this strictly on 109E's ? I had always thought this mechanism was underneath the engine just forward of the fuel injection pump. Found this image on the web which clearly shows it on a rebuild.

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 8
So was this strictly on 109E's ? I had always thought this mechanism was underneath the engine just forward of the fuel injection pump. Found this image on the web which clearly shows it on a rebuild.
Hi Tony,
The front RHS position was used on the Bf 109 E versions, as the pics show. Not certain about earlier versions. The Bf 109 E versions developed as I show, with the later combined motor/limiter still on the side. The underneath position was introduced on the Bf 109 F and onwards.

Cheers

Eng

Users who are viewing this thread