Engineman's WW2 Aircraft Parts Quiz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So, time for something completely different! Now, no jokes like "its a Vacuum cleaner.."
Best offers for what it is and what its off and value, if you like!
The clue is, that this was critical to some engines and it is off one of my favourite engines!

Eng

26_2941.jpg

Hi cammerjeff. They are a similar sort of item on Merlins with the waterpump under the wheelcase. However, this one was a mortal enemy of the Merlin!

Eng

30_2945.jpg

Maybe it is not thought about very much but, coolant pumps are rare survivors as they are usually on the outside or bottom of the engine and are relatively lightweight construction. This one is under the engine and is rare. It does have small damage on one outlet spout but, that is repairable and the unit is in good condition. The damage might have been either in a crash or the scrapping of the engine. More details when we get the correct type answer! You know what I like!

Eng

It is very fortunate with this prototype Jumo 222 engine piston that they stamped all the data on the top of the piston because, on normal production pistons the data is stamped on the base of the gudgeon pin (wrist pin) boss's where the metal is thick. With this particular piston being cut into an ashtray, that would have been lost. TBH, I do not actually know if the piston was cut in Germany or the USA, it might just have been done in Germany at Junkers as a momento when the prototype development was scrapped and someone wanted a relic ashtray? Whatever, I was told that it was taken back to USA by an engineer at the end of the war. If anyone has other Jumo 222 bits, give me a call!

Eng
I know this is out of sequence but here's more info on the Jumo 222. NASM did have one, which was 'found' in storage in 1967. The Royal Aircraft Establishment (Farnborough) had completed a full examination of the Jumo 222 in 1946 and produced a report on it. I am not sure if the UK gave the one they had to the US but given the report detailed the engine torn down into parts, I suspect not. In 1977, NASM was communicating with Deutsches Museum which resulted in a trade, giving them the Jumo 222. The Jumo 222 was an 'E' model, Werke Nr. 3. I have a copy of the report, which I will see if I can obtain approval to release it to this website if viewers want to see it.

Also, interestingly, there are a number of containers that were recently brought out of storage at NASM. Among many of the different items was a set of stainless steel tubing that seemed to be fuel lines. The fittings had metric size nuts at the ends, and were grouped to feed 8 cylinders, seemingly to 4 cylinders in two banks. Would be consistent for a Jumo 222, as it had 3 fuel pumps, one each between 2 banks, feeding 8 cylinders per pump. Not known if the Jumo 222 in DM does have it's fuel feed tubing in place.

Tony

Forgot to add these 2 images.

Attachments

• Jumo222_Casting.jpg
    Jumo222_Casting.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Jumo222_DataPlate.jpg
    Jumo222_DataPlate.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hi Tony,
Many thanks for your great information! IMO, the Jumo 222 was a very important engine that just missed production. With slightly different circumstances it may have made big differences to the air war, certainly if the 222A/B had made production in 1941/42, so we are probably very fortunate that it did not graduate, so to speak.
I look forward to any info that you can post! Your pic 1 shows casting marks, the top JUW 1 is the trigraph code for JUnkers Werk 1, 3205.4 is the material spec, note with the stamped V after it for Versuchs (experimental). 9.222.425.002 is the part number, the .002 being probably the third revision of the .425 component. The long number at the bottom is, I think, a Junkers production serial code.
Your pic 2 shows the very bare baumsterschild that seems to have been common after about mid 1944 with just the basic detail, MSD being the Werk, possibly Mader ?? . The trigraph code should be known but I do not have the database.
Many thanks for your contribution!

Eng

Well, I guess interest has gone in my coolant pump! Thanks for the guesses. The pump is actually off a DB 605 A probably made in late Spring 1944 at the Genshagen plant. In fact the parts could have been made as early as 1941 because they are the same as the DB 601 E, but they are not from that time, the numbers give the detail.

Cheers

Eng

Well, I guess interest has gone in my coolant pump! Thanks for the guesses. The pump is actually off a DB 605 A probably made in late Spring 1944 at the Genshagen plant. In fact the parts could have been made as early as 1941 because they are the same as the DB 601 E, but they are not from that time, the numbers give the detail.

Cheers

Eng
Sorry I did not lose interest, and with your last comment about it I figured it was from a DB 601 or DB 605, but having no experience with either type I did not make a guess, my bad. I was just waiting for someone more knowledgeable to answer.

Sorry I did not lose interest, and with your last comment about it I figured it was from a DB 601 or DB 605, but having no experience with either type I did not make a guess, my bad. I was just waiting for someone more knowledgeable to answer.
Cheers cammerjeff. I have reconsidered the damage on my coolant pump and I think it is damage from the scrapman. The pump has bandclamps on those outlets with reinforced rubber hose. I suspect the scrapy just chisels them away in one blow, it looks like a chisel has gone through it. So that probably means that the engine finished the war in a broken aircraft, or as an engine awaiting repair or overhaul, there were thousands. As regards the number clues on the impellor you can see the ?01.707.008 which should be 601 etc but the machining of the impellor has cut back the 6. As you now know, this was the 601 E upgraded pump that carried over into the 605 A/B. Also, the ?205.4 number is cut back and missing the 3. 3205.4 is the alloy metal spec. Keep contributing!
Cheers
Eng

26_2941.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back