Engineman's WW2 Aircraft Parts Quiz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd guess the long one, as the main fuel tank was the height of a sitting pilot.

Good guess, and well done ian. But as you can see, these pumps did come in a wide variety of lengths. So how long does your pump have to be, to be from a Bf 109 F/G/K? You would suppose that you can look it up in the parts-list? It is not that simple though! Here is a Baumsterschild.

Attachments

• 14_2928.jpg
    14_2928.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
So, I just replaced that pic with a clearer one. You can see the Gerat Nr 8-4544H. But all these pumps are 8-4544 and the H is just the development letter, they modified the production over time and the letter changed. However, any guesses about the T number?

Eng

Just letting the last question sit for a while. Snautzer asked about the Droptank and I will explain a little about the Bf 109 system.
The 109 keeps almost all systems as simple as possible. The droptank system was designed to use the simplest system, whereby air pressure was used to push the fuel up and out of the tank into the aircraft tank. The air pressure is taken from the engine supercharger, via an on/off valve that is operated by the pilot in the cockpit. Because the fuel flow into the aircraft tank is not regulated by a float switch, the air supply is not turned on until after take-off and the external tank then transfers until empty, switched-off or dropped. If the air supply is turned-on on the ground, fuel will transfer when supercharger pressure is enough and will spill out of the refueling tank vent. If this happened with a ground run-up, the pressurised droptank could spill quite a bit of fuel from the trapped pressure in it.
Cheers

Eng

Still open for more questions and answers about the fuel pumps. We still have the question about how you know the "Bf 109 pump" is a real Bf 109 pump, the T number question and although ian is absolutely correct about the long pump, one of those other two pumps is also a Bf 109 pump, which is it and what Bf 109?

Eng

Last edited:
That makes sense as the part pictured is not the correct shape for the Vane from a V2.

I will drink a beer to my success this weekend. :occasion5:
OK, I think we got there. This is an A5 exhaust nozzle control/steering vane. It is solid graphite and this one is numbered 0065. These vanes sat in the high energy gas exhaust from the LOX/Alcohol rocket motor and vectored thrust to guide the Rocket. The A5 was a solution to the failure of the A3 which had aerodynamic problems. The A5 solved most of the aerodynamics and the stab/guidance also developed. The A5 was small-ish, less than 6m, and was a scale A4. In fact, with a recovery parachute, some A5's flew more than once.
Actual A4 development suffered huge further development problems.

Eng
15_2929.jpg

Last edited:
Still open for more questions and answers about the fuel pumps. We still have the question about how you know the "Bf 109 pump" is a real Bf 109 pump, the T number question and although ian is absolutely correct about the long pump, one of those other two pumps is also a Bf 109 pump, which is it and what Bf 109?

Eng
So I guess that I should tidy this up! Knowing if you have a "real" Bf 109 tank pump is helped tremendously by having that picture of the LONG one. It is 84cm top face to bottom face.
However, it doesn't all stick-in the tank because the thing fits into an adapter fitting and the lower 78cm or so sticks into the tank. The T number is a question in itself. On the smaller pumps, it seems that the T number might represent the depth of the tank that the unit fits correctly (in mm). However, this does not corelate on the long Bf 109 pump that has a T number 370, when it would be approx 780 for the length it needs to be and is. So, I have no answer, other than my long pump is correct, tested in a real Bf 109 G and alongside the other real Bf 109 G pump! Oh yes, the parts list! Well, the Messerschmitt Bf 109 F and the Bf 109 G parts lists only show the 8-4544 Number, with earlier and later letters. There is no T-number ref! However, the tank dipstick is shown as "76cm" length and my estimate of 78cm length to reach the bottom of the tank is right!
What about the other "109" pump then? Well, the Bf 109 G-12 two-seat trainer had a very small 240ltr tank that is just about only the lower under-seat part. This has a very short pump (the electric motor at the end are all the same length) and the shortest it can be with the adapter fitting is that "Tiny" one that I showed, it is also the one with the "T=285" on the plate in the pic. So, that is the G-12 pump, if you wondered?!

Eng

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back