Engineman's WW2 Aircraft Parts Quiz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So, yes, a Jumo 222 A/B piston. I never thought I would see one but, this was advertised a few years ago without identification and I bought it. You might not be able to read all the stamped info on the face but the long line says, 222.242 001 f FLUG-ABT.IFA- xx
That is the Junkers part number, followed by a small f then the aircraft parts works abbreviated name. The marks x x are a Junkers symbol with the number 53 which is a Junkers QA stamp, and a lozenge shape with the number 17 inside which is a BAL ministry approval stamp. The weight 1253 (grammes) is stamped at the top and the machined finished size of 134.74mm is stamped on the LH top face, but difficult to see on pic. These pistons have a mirrored pocket for the large single exhaust valve edge because some of the cylinders had exhaust on the RHS, some on the LHS.
The engine was a 2,500hp class but, it never made production, despite possibly being ready, or politics stopping it. The A/B engines were discontinued from development in about 1942 and it is likely that they were all reduced-to-produce. I do not believe a 222 A/B exists today, although there is a later one in the museum at Munich.

Eng
Whoever cut that piston up is definetly going to at least Dante`s 6th circle right off the bat.

So it looks like Tomo and special ed are interested in this piece? Maybe they would bid? This is all I had to go on, and the pics were less clear than these, if only that number had been clearer! It certainly is an airflow control butterfly valve but, it is not a carburettor and the size is over 4in dia. Does it look like any German WK2 Luftwaffe engine induction pipe we know? I thought it looked familiar, so I looked at a few German aero engine pics online..

Anyone guess?

Eng
I agree it looks like a hot air valve, not a throttle valve, possibly a bleed air valve off a Jet engine, or a heated air valve for an anti icing system. Did any German WWII A/C use heated leading edges for anti icing?

Whoever cut that piston up is definetly going to at least Dante`s 6th circle right off the bat.

Yes, it is a pity. However, it is better than NO piston. I think the Jumo 222 A/B suffered from being binned relatively early in the War, in time to be scrapped and without the large number of production engines that gives greater chances of survivors and crash recovery. Also, I believe the surviving 222 E engine at Munich was taken to the USA for testing in 1945 but, was returned eventually to the Munich museum. Overall, I think it is fairly true that all the really big, not V12, multicylinder watercooled engines for 2500+hp had reliability issues. Interestingly, the V12's did better, the Griffon making a reliable (for a piston engine) 2,500bhp in some versions.

Eng

I agree it looks like a hot air valve, not a throttle valve, possibly a bleed air valve off a Jet engine, or a heated air valve for an anti icing system. Did any German WWII A/C use heated leading edges for anti icing?
Indeed it does cammerjeff. However, what if I tell you that this part possibly took part in the Battle of Britain!

Eng

Indeed it does cammerjeff. However, what if I tell you that this part possibly took part in the Battle of Britain!

Eng

Eng

Hmm... the plot thickens...1935-1940 it is.

Air mass meter... humm ...puff ..

1704310505374.png

Good spot ian! Yes, it is a DB 601 A Reglerklappe, which is the air valve which controls the output pressure from the supercharger (Lader). In fact, by the time I had studied the available photo's, it was just a question of if it was a DB 601 A part or, the later DB 601 E version. I think no-one bid on it and it was about 80Euro including postage from Germany to UK.
The condition is very good, with no damage apart from the operating ball on the lever has been hacksawed off, rather than just quick-released. This is a common thing on scrapped German engine controls, the ball-post is hacksawed rather than simply disconnected! Don't ask me why?
The body of the valve is Magnesium alloy and it is in good condition, it must have been stored dry. I think this is yet another wartime souvenir that has been in a loft for 50-60 years.
So, BoB? I cannot know if it fought the battle. But, stamped on the edge of the flange is the code, 61261. This is the original Werk Nr of the engine this part was fitted to. That number relates to a Genshagen built DB 601, made in late 1938. So it is another historic part!
Cheers

Eng

So, this Ringmeister may be away tommoz. However, there is another little thing that needs considering. What is it and which aircraft is it out of?

Eng

Attachments

• 10_2924.jpg
    10_2924.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 11
Hi Everyone,
So, a good offer from ian! Anyone got a view on German tank pumps and what this might be from?

Eng

Attachments

• 11_2925.jpg
    11_2925.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 5
To fill in a bit of info seeing as this thread is slow, This type of submerged electric fuel pump seems to have been designed by the Deutsche Benzinuhren G.m.b.H (DBU) company of Berlin. They were then made by several other companies as they were used on many German aircraft types. They have an approx 6 inch long sealed 24v DC electric motor in the bottom end and the pumping element is a small approx 2cm dia scroll impeller at the base. Fuel passes up a central tube and out of the 90 degree union at the top. The static pressure generated is only about 0.3kg/cm, maybe 5psi and the flow rate is moderate. I am interested if anyone has any experience with these pumps and what aircraft is my pump from?

Eng

To fill in a bit of info seeing as this thread is slow, This type of submerged electric fuel pump seems to have been designed by the Deutsche Benzinuhren G.m.b.H (DBU) company of Berlin. They were then made by several other companies as they were used on many German aircraft types. They have an approx 6 inch long sealed 24v DC electric motor in the bottom end and the pumping element is a small approx 2cm dia scroll impeller at the base. Fuel passes up a central tube and out of the 90 degree union at the top. The static pressure generated is only about 0.3kg/cm, maybe 5psi and the flow rate is moderate. I am interested if anyone has any experience with these pumps and what aircraft is my pump from?

Eng
I have no idea but keep on searching.

So, a simple question. Which of these is the usual pump for a Bf 109 G/K, Tiny, Shorty or the Long one?
Go on, have a shot!
Eng

Attachments

• 13_2927.jpg
    13_2927.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back