Escaping German POW

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
We all know about allied POW escaping, but weer don't hear much about German POW doing the same. Apart from lt Werra of course. Afaik he was the only German to get back to Germany, only to disappear over the Northsea a few months later. While reading about his attempt to steal a hurricane, I found out that 2 other German pilots actually succeeded in taking off from a British airfield. Quite interesting and seems to me a good story. Here the Wikipedia page. Would love to learn more about this attempt.
Heinz Schnabel and Harry Wappler escape attempt - Wikipedia

I included this story ( my own work, not the brief Wiki version ) with a model build of Schnabel's Bf109 a few years back.
Coincidentally, I have been working on up-dating this story, and had intended to visit, and photograph, the various locations associated with the Schnabel and von Werra escape attempts, in November last year. Unfortunately, the Covid lockdown has delayed this, but I hope to complete the work, with the visits, when things ease here in the UK, hopefully in April.
Once complete, I'll post the finished, illustrated work on the forum.

I will do, and yes, the tunnel at Swanick is still there, or at least the exit is. The site is still a conference center for religious organisations, and I don't know whether access will be granted. However, as I'll mainly be concentrating on the northern sites, I may not bother to visit Swanick, just for one photo.
I had hoped to locate and photograph the field at Scratby, Norfolk, where Schnabel and Wappler landed the Magister, as it's not that far from where my caravan is located. But, after the floods at the caravan park, I don't think I have a caravan anymore !

I doubt it Marcel.
The 'van is stored on the higher part of the site, away from the lower field near the river, which has been known to flood to maybe a foot or so.
However, on Christmas Eve, the flood water reached a depth of three feet (nearly one meter) where my 'van is, ( probably five feet on the lower field ) and also flooded the site owner's house to the same depth (they had to move into temporary accommodation elsewhere ).
The site will not be open this year, as it will take a long time to recover, as will the owner's house, and I reckon I'll only be able to salvage some of the 'van's contents that was above flood level ( water inside would have been at least a foot deep ), such as cuttlery, crockery and other odds and ends.
I guess the van is wrecked, as the floor will be ruined, and damp will have risen up the wooden trims and cabinets etc, and the wall insulation. although some fittings such as fridge and cooker may be saved for sale as scrap or spares.
Can't do anything until lockdown lifts, and I'm able to travel down to Norfolk to see the mess !

Thanks, Marcel and Dave.
As soon as I'm able to travel to the various locations, I'll complete the story, with additional "then and now" photos, and post it on the forum.
I'm guessing this will be around early April, given lockdown restrictions are eased sufficiently to allow travel and hotel stays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back