Evolution of Drag on Fast Bombers (funny pic?)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

elbmc1969

Senior Airman
Feb 16, 2019
Trying to figure out where this was. Book by a well-know aviation writer, showing the evolution of a "fast bomber" in slightly humorous form. Each picture shows the speed of the bomber. First pic is the perfectly clean bomber. Next, tail (and top?) turrets added, only knocks off about 10mph. Third pic has guns everywhere, speed still lower. Fourth pic adds EW antenna all over, another 10mph. The final speed it ~50mph slower than the original aircraft.

The point was that each modification could be justified by the very marginal speed loss, but the cumulative effect would have been rejected.

Anyone know where this appeared?

I believe you are referring to an 8 panel sketch by G. H. Forster, and there is a reproduction of it on pg. 23 of my copy of Bomber Aircraft by Alfred Price (Arms and Armour Press, 1989).

I believe you are referring to an 8 panel sketch by G. H. Forster, and there is a reproduction of it on pg. 23 of my copy of Bomber Aircraft by Alfred Price (Arms and Armour Press, 1989).
Oh, thank you! Do you know anything about Forster? Google isn't finding much.

Any chance you could scan the sketch? I did order the book through our library system, but no idea when it might show up.

Hmmm, as a publisher myself, I have to respect the copyrights of other publishers - hence my citation only. I'm sure your library will come through for you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back