F-117 retirement: mistake or correct decision?

F-117 retirement: mistake or correct decision?

• Yes

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I imagine that F-15E and Super Hornet and taking the bulk of the load.
But that when "stealth" is a must, then "stealthy" assests are being or will be used.
And right now there aren't too many real would threats that would require a strike aircraft to evade advanced radar systems. Also keep in mind that aircraft like the F-15E and Superhornet will have the assistance of ECM aircraft that can blind an enemy's radar. When aircraft like the F-22 and F-35 become fully operational, that will just assure "an ace in the hole" until technology catches up to those aircraft.

I'm not trying to provoke an argument, but historically many threats, or lack of threats, have been miscalculated, with only hindsight being 20/20.
It seems there is a degree of increased risk with the current capability gap.
Whether that risk is acceptable or unacceptable, right or wrong is certainly debatable and I hope the right judgment calls have been made.
Regardless, there seems to be a degree of increased risk.

I suppose one can mitigate this increased risk, the retirement of a hammer, by using a sledgehammer until the new hammer is available.

Don't forget UCAV's such as the Lockheed Polecat or, more likely, the Boeing Phantom Ray can perform the F-117's mission too. The former had been in use for some time before it was revealed, the second is, as yet, a demonstrator in the same mould as the BAE Taranis but, I'll' wager, further developed thanks to X plane experience. The F-117, by today's perspective, is a big and expensive way to do not-very-much.

Yes, those are some of the "stealthy assests" I had in mind earlier.

I'm not trying to provoke an argument, but historically many threats, or lack of threats, have been miscalculated, with only hindsight being 20/20.
It seems there is a degree of increased risk with the current capability gap.
Whether that risk is acceptable or unacceptable, right or wrong is certainly debatable and I hope the right judgment calls have been made.
Regardless, there seems to be a degree of increased risk.
Perhaps - but right now I don't see a real risk by the USAF by not having a stealth strike fighter available. Keep in mind as well that if a risk were to emerge in the near future, the entire F-35 program can be easily accelerated, but at a cost.

Don't forget UCAV's such as the Lockheed Polecat or, more likely, the Boeing Phantom Ray can perform the F-117's mission too. The former had been in use for some time before it was revealed, the second is, as yet, a demonstrator in the same mould as the BAE Taranis but, I'll' wager, further developed thanks to X plane experience. The F-117, by today's perspective, is a big and expensive way to do not-very-much.

Right now these aircraft are perfect for addressing current threats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back