F-22 hundred of times more stealthy than Su-57?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

According to this article F-22 radar cross section is less than 1% of Su-57.

Would this translate to Turkey shoot in an actual war?
Thoughts on the Sukhoi Su-75 Checkmate? First flight planned for 2024…. Yeah right.

This part caught my eye

In contrast, Russian analysts insist that ground-based low-bandwidth radars and long-range surface-to-air missiles such as the S-400 are a sure solution against stealth fighters. These tie the T-50 to operate closer to ground-based positions, which may be acceptable given Russia's security posture.

The confidence that the S-400 is a sure solution against Stealth fighters when they haven't been a sure solution against the Mig29, seems more than a little misplaced

The Moskva class was supposed to be a carrier group killer.

We've all seen just how fearsome and invincible it turned out to be...

Errr, the Moskva class was an ASW platform. I don't remember it having any weapons that could attack a carrier. Well, I guess you could use the FRAS-1's to kill a carrier, if you could get close enough.

Or do you mean the (recently demised) ship renamed Moskva, a Slava class cruiser? Then yes, in the 1970's (when it was designed) and into the 1980's (commissioned in 1982) it was a threat to the carrier. I remember training exercises specifically modeled around a Slava centered attack group, in combination with Blinder and Backfire support. But, 40 years later, not so much. And any ship, caught asleep at the wheel or in limiting waters, is little more than a target, no matter how lethal it might be to other ships.

T!

Errr, the Moskva class was an ASW platform. I don't remember it having any weapons that could attack a carrier. Well, I guess you could use the FRAS-1's to kill a carrier, if you could get close enough.

Or do you mean the (recently demised) ship renamed Moskva, a Slava class cruiser? Then yes, in the 1970's (when it was designed) and into the 1980's (commissioned in 1982) it was a threat to the carrier. I remember training exercises specifically modeled around a Slava centered attack group, in combination with Blinder and Backfire support. But, 40 years later, not so much. And any ship, caught asleep at the wheel or in limiting waters, is little more than a target, no matter how lethal it might be to other ships.

T!

Yes, they are referring to the recent Cruiser converted to a Submarine.

GrauGeist GrauGeist I like the Monica class of russian ships. Lighly armoured but fun to look at.

1661194264604.png

According to this article F-22 radar cross section is less than 1% of Su-57.

Would this translate to Turkey shoot in an actual war?
This is a picture of the upper wing surface of an SU-57. It almost looks like it was produced by a carpenter using wood screws. How stealthy could this be?

Attachments

• Su-57 wing.jpg
    Su-57 wing.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 23
This is a picture of the upper wing surface of an SU-57. It almost looks like it was produced by a carpenter using wood screws. How stealthy could this be?

Not particularly, every one of those screws and dimples is a corner reflector for RF energy, and they are all additive.

However, if they keep that kind of stuff only on the upper surfaces, with more attention to detail on the front and lower facing surfaces, it can still have quite a reduced RCS on the nose and with regards to anything it is facing / attacking.

My concern is more when I see things like this (not my image, random grab from web):
SU52-640x300.jpg

Those are obvious fasteners and panel seams below the waterline, and they also don't look very stealthy to me.

And I don't mean to imply that that panels being seen means anything bad, but that just looks ruff to me. Ruff means less smooth, less smooth generally means less stealthy.

Compare it to the fit and finish of panels on the F22 in a similar shot (not my image, random grab from web).

F22_rt_fndr_hlf.jpg

T!

Last edited:

T!

It seemed clear to me he was talking about the Moskva that was recently sunk. That was certainly designed to attack CAGs, with its loadout. I don't know how much ASW gear it had, but it's main-deck missile-racks speak to its mission. It also had what for the time was a healthy counter-air capability.

China builds a much better quality product.
Sukhoi 'quality' can be very variable

Thats inside a brand new Sukhoi Superjet 100 wing
And what are you showing us? Is this a crack verified by penetrant inspection? Is the paint flaking off prematurely? Is there a any other indication of failure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back