F-82F/G/H exhaust stubs?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BarnOwlLover

Staff Sergeant
Nov 3, 2022
Mansfield, Ohio, USA
I'm trying to figure out exactly how they "worked", as in where did the exhaust actually vent out of them and how/how well they handled flame dampening. I'd also ask about the Merlin powered variants, but that'd be speculative since the P-82C/D and apparently a XP-82 simply tested how the radar pod and other equipment would work (and only 22 Merlin powered F-82s got built so the question of "what would be the point" as far as flame dampened exhaust for them rings true).

Anyone have good illustrations/photos or actual examples of the F-82 flame dampened exhaust? I've always been curious about where the exhaust actually comes out and how the flame damping effect was supposed to be obtained compared to like British fishtail exhaust or say Mosquito/Sea Hornet night fighter exhaust stubs.

I've always wondered how the stubs "worked" (namely where the exhaust is vented and such), and I did see a pic at Boeing's media site of a F-82 night fighter that shows (maybe) where the exhaust goes.

My impression is that the flame dampeners on the F-82F/G/H merely diverted the exhaust sideways and somewhat downwards, instead of backwards:

F-82 with exhaust flame dampeners.jpg

No. They actually split the flame up into 3 parts and each is <UCH less bright than the single flame. It cools during the splitting and the flame that comes out is much less bright. Joe Yancey has a set of them for his run-stand engines and we have checked them out in the evening against the single collectors.

The exhaust is MUCH less noticeable t night when it splits 3 ways. Not too sure exactly why, but it is.

I really wonder who thought up that exhaust collector and why he thought it would help... but it does.

I'm trying to see where the exhaust is vented, as well as if it still provides a thrust augmentation effect like the Merlin/normal Allison exhaust stacks. I know that vs the F-82E that the F/G models were about 4-5 mph slower in level flight, though much (if not most of it) was due to drag from the radar pod. Also, the F-82H was a F/G with the radar equipment removed to be used as an interceptor in Alaska until F-94s and F-89s were able to be issued up there. They didn't carry radar equipment, though all or almost all kept the night fighter exhaust systems and I doubt that they were ever converted into being dual control like the F-82B and E were.

Also, the F-82C/D night fighter development aircraft didn't fly with flame dampened exhaust, since they were Merlin powered and such a thing was never developed for the Merlin powered F-82s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back