F6F-3 Hellcat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good information. Looks like I'll do the white underside, a black cowling, and something a bit darker than RLM 02 Grey, probably the RLM 71, for the squiggles.

Oh, I sure hope the Harvards hit by the bus in the movie were mockups and not real aircraft.

I would be really very carefull of the RLM 71 for the squiggles. Below, a couple of quite close-up shots show the squiggle colour in the sunlight. Both these Harvards and the Ju-52 seem to have the bands of a grey pain but not of a green. The RLM 71 and the RLM 70 belonged to the range of green colours. The paint tone seems to be more pale than both of the RLM colours while applied on a white background.

wed_1.jpg

wed_2.jpg

wed_3.jpg

wed_3a.jpg

wed_4.jpg

the pic source: same as above

And here is a B&W image with the Ju-52 in. I would say that the tone of the squiggle colour matches more to the RLM 74/75 range than to the RLM 70/71.

5504619.jpg

the source: Aviation Photo #5504619: Junkers Ju-52/3mg4e - Switzerland - Air Force

And here is a colour image taken in 80' Believing the caption she is still wearing th camo used for the movie.

1780389.jpg

9915b5b7d8bf5c0ec000534efd23f0b7.jpg

Ju52Swiss_Air_Force_%2827755847915%29.jpg

the pic source: as above and File:Ju52Swiss Air Force (27755847915).jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Depending on the light conditions the squiggles may seem to be of more dark tone and with the greenish tinge. But as the shots above reveal these were of the grey
Ju-52-A702.jpg

the source: South African Airways ZA-AFA, ZA-AFB and ZA-AFC on their delivery flight over the Transvaal Highveld 1st Nov 1934

They were real aircraft, but I'm guessing non-airworthy, obtained relatively cheaply ( by movie company standards ), and it would have been thought acceptable to do what was done for the purposes of the required "drama" in the movie at that time.
Movie companies spend a lot of money on things which could be ultimately wrecked during filming.
I was fortunate enough to be on the set during part of the filming of the James Bond movie "Goldeneye", back in 1995. During the tank chase sequence, a few Lada Police cars are damaged or wrecked. In the hangar at the studios at Leavesden, I saw at least twenty wrecked or damaged brand-new Ladas, and a number of other brand-new ones waiting for use, with a few wrecked Zils, where one is seen in the movie. All of this presumably due to "re-takes" of the scenes. There was probably in excess of £150,000 worth of new vehicles, purchased just to wreck, which is around £296,000 at todays value !

EDIT:- Regarding the stripes - in the movie, they certainly look to have a more greenish grey tinge, not far from the shade of RLM 02, or a slate grey colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back