FAA in 1/48?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Since I'm wide awake and can't sleep, I thought that I'd toss this question up in the air....

Which 1/48 Wildcat is best suited for an Ark Royal bird, during the '40 Norway campaign?

Are those new Hobby Boss F4F-3's, Early and Late, suitable for starters?

I'm not sure if any of the Wildcats was used operationally from the HMS Ark Royal. All embarked squadrons used either Swordfish Mk. I, Blackburn Skua Mk. II or Fairey Fulmar Mk. II. However if it would be Martlet it should be Martlet Mk.I

Take it easy my friend. There is always a possibility for converting the F4F-3A into the Swordfish or Fulmar. :lol:

True! Easy! :lol:
So, as far I understand, those RN carriers taking part in the of Battle Norway, was Ark Royal, Furious and Glorious....would it have been Skuas, Swordfish and Sea Gladiators that they'd have carried then?

The Grumman Wildcat in FAA Service by Bruce Archer

.....and found this at Britmodeller..

Martlet I- Needs major work. Need to change the locations of the two guns in each wing, need need shaped cowl which is shorter, and need to lengthen forward fuselage. There may be a conversion set coming.

Martlet II- First ten use the Hobby Boss F4F-3 (late)with the F4F-3 (early) cowl, as these were F4F-3s
AJ series Mk.II- Use the Hobby Boss or Tamiya F4F-4, remove the carb scoop and intercooler scoops. These also had a unique pitot on the upper port wing
AM series Mk.II- Use the Hobby Boss or Tamiya F4F-4, remove the carb intake and intercooler scoops, and these had the standard F4F-4 Pitot

Martlet III-ex-Mk.II these were standard F4F-3, use the Hiobby Boss F4F-3 (late), with the F4F-3 (early) cowl
ex-Greek these were F4F-3Bs,use the Hobby Boss F4F-3 (early) with the F4F-3 late windscreen, or the Hobby Boss F4F-3 (late)with the F4F-3 (early) cowl, remove the intercooler scoops

Martlet IV- as per the Martlet I

Martlet V- Use the Hobby Boss FM-1 as is

Martlet VI- The Sword kit is the closest to the actual aircraft, and the Hobby Boss kit has the wrong cowl. Perhaps a combo of the two? Or wait as there is a new conversion set coming...

Generally I agree.

Additionally...

Martlet Mk.I - no fuselage MGs, angled antenna mast.
Martlet Mk.II - no fuselage MGs, doomed propeller, early series with angled Pitot tube, fixed wings used on early series, 6 MGs as used on planes with folding wings, holdbag fairing.
Martlet Mk.III - straight Pitot tube, lip intake on the top of the engine cowling, non-folding wings, four wings MGs, no holdbag fairing.
Martlet Mk.IV - redesigned front of the fuselage ( longer like the Mk.I ) , uncuffed Hamilton Standard prop.
Martlet Mk.V - like GM FM-1 with two outer wing MGs removed in production.
Martlet Mk.VI - like GM FM-2 with redesigned front of the fuselage, uncuffed Curtiss Electric prop, enlarged fine and rudder, vertical antenna mast, no pil cooler, no ventral windows, no auxiliary fuel tank fill.

True! Easy! :lol:
So, as far I understand, those RN carriers taking part in the of Battle Norway, was Ark Royal, Furious and Glorious....would it have been Skuas, Swordfish and Sea Gladiators that they'd have carried then?

Neither HMS Furious nor HMS Glorious didn't carry Martlets in 1940. The Martlet Mk.I didn't have a wing folding mechanism and was therefore only used from land bases. The first Martlet Mk.II with folding wings wasn't delivered before August 1941.

Yep, the first Mark to be received was in late October, 1940 (about 12 aircraft if my memory is correct), and they were shore-based in Scotland, ostensibly for defence of Scapa Flow and the Forth, although, as far as I know, they didn't see action at that time.

Ark Royal Squadrons, Aircraft operated, Embarked (from – to), Notes

800, Blackburn Skua Mk. II , January 1939 – April 1941, Transferred to Victorious.
810, Fairey Swordfish Mk. I, January 1939 – March 1941
May – September 1941, Aboard Illustrious from March – May 1941.
820, Fairey Swordfish Mk. I, January 1939 – June 1941 –
821, Fairey Swordfish Mk. I, January 1939 – April 1940, Removed from operational service following losses against Scharnhorst
803, Blackburn Skua Mk. II, Blackburn Roc Mk. I April 1939 – October 1940 –
818, Fairey Swordfish Mk. I, August – October 1939 June – July 1940, Operated from Furious and land bases between October 1939 and June 1940.
801, Blackburn Skua Mk. II , April – May 1940, Transferred to Furious.
807, Fairey Fulmar Mk. II, April 1940 – November 1941, Embarked at sinking.
701, Supermarine Walrus Mk. I, June 1940, Training squadron.
808, Fairey Fulmar Mk. II, September 1940 – November 1941, Embarked at sinking.
821X, Fairey Swordfish Mk. I, December 1940 – January 1941, Flight assembled from 821 Squadron survivors, later absorbed into 815 Squadron.
800Y, Fairey Fulmar Mk. I, June 1941, Flight from 800 Squadron.
825, Fairey Swordfish Mk. I, June – November 1941, Embarked at sinking.
816, Fairey Swordfish Mk. I, July – November 1941, Embarked at sinking
812, Fairey Swordfish Mk. I, September – November 1941, Embarked at sinking.
828, Fairey Swordfish Mk. I, Fairey Albacore Mk. I , October 1941, Redeployed to Malta.

From the Wiki.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back