Fairey aero engines - any good info?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So it's possible that the company might have lagged behind in engine development, and even if Forsyth knew about it, they might not have had the resources to do it...

It is probable.

Dear Air Ministry, we would prefer you not give contracts to Fairey who may be using confidential information gleened while Captain Forsyth worked at the Air Minstry.

Signed,
Rolls-Royce
Napier
Bristol
Armstrong-Soddeley

It is probable.
It does appear to make sense.
Dear Air Ministry, we would prefer you not give contracts to Fairey who may be using confidential information gleened while Captain Forsyth worked at the Air Minstry.

Signed,
Rolls-Royce
Napier
Bristol
Armstrong-Soddeley
Sounds about right!

Something the Air Ministry just might have considered.

Fairey had built a grand total of less the 6 engines in the company's history.

That is less than 6 engines total, not different designs or models.

The Fairey Felix that powered the Fairey Fox bomber of the 1920s were imported Curtiss D-12 engines,

Fairey had no engine production facilities in the sense that they could build even 3-5 engines a month let alone in a week.

Fairey had built a grand total of less the 6 engines in the company's history.

6 may be generous.

It seems like they built 3 P.12s and 1, maybe 2, P.24s.

No P.16s were ever built.

Regarding the P.12:
Fairey P.12 Prince Aircraft Engine

Looks like the intake passages for that were cast in the block as well. The cylinder blocks and crankcases were cast in one piece, which was unusual for aero engines, but not for cars.

(Early Rolls-Royce Merlins had the cylinder head cast in one piece with the cylinder block.)

Interesting also that Fairey applied for a patent for the U-16 configuration, considering Bugatti had built a U-16 in France during WWI and that was produced under licence in the US, albeit in small numbers.

Fairey had no engine production facilities in the sense that they could build even 3-5 engines a month let alone in a week.

3 to 5 engines a year, I would say.

There was never a "four-speed thing". It was a misinterpretation of the system.

Vibrations.

The one and only supercharger arrangement used for the engine.

Not a clue. Just trying to be clever, I guess.

Not a clue. But I suspect a lack of experience, knowledge or resources.

Normal was to use a quill shaft. Removes some of the torsional vibrations from the engine, and protects the reduction gear.

Don't know why Forsyth chose to put them directly on the crankshaft.

Not a clue.

You'd have to ask Captain Forsyth.
Sodium cooling is generally not necessary for inlet valves. The Merlin only used sodium collet exhaust valves.

And you could shut down one half in flight and improve endurance and stuff. I'm not sure how much of a benefit this is.

I'm not sure what the odds are of catastrophic engine failure where one engine bank could effectively knock out the other either based on the knowledge of the time? As for combat, it seems quite plausible that gunfire could damage both engines since they are right next to each other. I could be wrong, of course.
The V-3420 was basically one engine based on two?
The Fairey Gannent used a similar installation and did fly on one engine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back