Fairey P.24 Monarch

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Zipper730

Chief Master Sergeant
Nov 9, 2015
I was told that there was a proposal as of June 1941 to ship this engine over to the USAAC/USAAF and begin testing here. There were apparently several manufacturers who had a serious interest in developing the engine: I'm not sure what manufacturers were aware as to what was available, but the engine was quite large and looks like it'd have serious potential.

The main interest was in the fact that it used a counter rotating propeller and that each "half" of the engine drove 1/2 of the propeller, One side drove the front propeller and the other side drove the rear. It was even possible to shut down one side of the engine and have just one of the propellers rotate.

This looked like a very good way to test or do research on counter rotating propellers as the front and rear propellers could be rotated at different speeds.

The engine actually had poor potential as the air passages were cast into the engine blocks and the engine was rather light for size/displacement meaning that it's ability to stand up to high BMEP was rather suspect.

394px-FAAM_-_Fairey_P.16_Prince_-_251007.jpg

Note the airpath from the superchargers (one on each side) through the manifold to the ports near the crankshaft and then the cast in passages taking the inlet air up to heads.
fairey-p24-integral-passageways.jpg

See; Fairey P.24 Monarch Aircraft Engine

It is often sated that the Fairey P.24 had a 4 speed, 2 stage supercharger, whereas the reality was it had two single stage two speed superchargers.

I was told that there was a proposal as of June 1941 to ship this engine over to the USAAC/USAAF and begin testing here. There were apparently several manufacturers who had a serious interest in developing the engine: I'm not sure what manufacturers were aware as to what was available, but the engine was quite large and looks like it'd have serious potential.

I should have said this earlier, butthere was no serious interest by US manufacturers in producing the P.24.

Fairey aero engines - any good info? has some information regarding the P.24.

p-24
the Fairey P24 was a nice concept but being developed at Fairey meant it was short of muscle in the manpower department.
I have a spec for the moderately superchrged version which reads
rated power: 1,500 bhp @ 2,600 rpm
max Take off power: 1,540 bhp @ 2,300 rpm
rated altitude: 9,500 feet
normal rpm: 2,600 rpm not normally exceeded for continuous cruising at any altitude.
max permissible rpm: 3,000 not to be used for more 5 minutes consecutive running.
diving rpm: 3,150 rpm at not more than 1/3rd throttle opening.
max permissible boost: +3 lbs/sq in.(for not more than 5 mins)
rated boost: +2lbs/sq in.
fuel: DTD 230 [ I think is 87 octane]
bore: 5.25"
stroke: 6.0"
capacity: 3118 cu. in (51 litre)

The flight engine rating data is:
rated altitude: 10,000ft
rated boost: +1/2 lb/sq in
max permissible boost: +3 lb/sq in
normal rpm: 2,400
take off rpm: 2,
bhp @ 2,400 rpm @ 10,000 ft - 1,275