Favorite Hack

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Man, that Typhoon looks awesome. Looks like the P-47 finally has its Brit counterpart.

And David, try out AllAircraftArcade.com. They got dozens of mods, though you'll have to download some mod structures to get them up and running.

-Pong

For flying I love the MiG 9 or the p-80, for the speed realy, sometimes there's nothing better than zooming around low level in the p-80 with my custom Raaf Roulettes skin. But for fighting I have always been a fan of the Bf-109.

My Il2 set up is very heavily modded and most of my favorite planes to just fly around in are not stock planes. My current fave is the modded J7W1 Shinden canard (my version of which uses a P-63 flight model). I spend a lot of time "outside the cockpit" watching my planes fly past and do aerobatics, and the Shinden is a great-looking plane. I also enjoy tooling around in the Boeing P-26, F-86, Mig-15, Do-335, any of the I-16 series, any Spitfire, Me-262s, and the J8A (Gladiator) which has by far the most realistic-looking cockpit interior of them all.

When I actually go online to fight or set up combat sims, I usually limit myself to piston-engined stock planes that actually saw combat. Here, I would guess I prefer in order: Spits V and above, A6Ms, Ki-61/100s, Ki-84s, Bf-109Fs and above, F4U1.c's, Fw-190Ds and La5FNs and above. I tend to avoid all USAAF types except the P-38 because they lack cannon armament, and wont even think about Italian and early war JAAF types with their twin .303 pop guns. I also stay away from Fw-190As as I have never been successful in figuring out their wicked high-speed stalls.

I like flying the p-47 but for fighting i prefer the me-109 k-4

MY Jug of course ^^

F4U1C or the British IV version
Fw 190 A5, A9 and D9
P51C and D
Ta152H
Bf109G6as and up
J2m5
N1k2ja
P40B and P40M

Im a zoom and boom jock most of the time, i get tired of the low altiutude circle jerk with the usual la7/spitfire/Ki 84c fights you usually, see so i stick with High altitude fighters or pick off guys heading to the main furball.

That and it really gets on spitfire's pilots nerves when they cant catch you, and i get home safe and sound :p
I deeply enjoy getting called a boom and zoom noob most of the games i fly in :p

I probably shouldn't post here being into IL-2 just over a month or so...but so far my favorite is the Spit. It's so naturally flyable and so easy to fly clean.

My biggest dissapointment...the FW-190. The D-9 gets my vote as the sexiest fighter of WWII as a modeler, but it sux to fly in IL-2. Visibility stinks. I'm not sure the sim does it justice. The speedbar always sais I'm doing good but I'm always scrunching in my chair thinking that will make me faster.

Well, it depends on how you're flying it. If you're trying to pull of high-G horizontal maneuvers like you might in a Spit, you won't go anywhere fast. The 190 is best employed in boom and zoom attacks, dropping on the target from high altitude and getting off one devastating burst before diving under the target and going into a zoom climb to regain your perch. The strength of the 190 is roll rate and climb rate, maneuvers which do not take advantage of these do not come off well.

On the other hand, taking a B-24 apart with a 2 second burst can create a warm and satisfied felling... :lol:

Well, it depends on how you're flying it. If you're trying to pull of high-G horizontal maneuvers like you might in a Spit, you won't go anywhere fast. The 190 is best employed in boom and zoom attacks, dropping on the target from high altitude and getting off one devastating burst before diving under the target and going into a zoom climb to regain your perch. The strength of the 190 is roll rate and climb rate, maneuvers which do not take advantage of these do not come off well.

I get the tactical advantages or disadvantages of the 190, ganted, there are days I don't have the patience to do it right. Its just that in my version of the sim (46 patched to 4.09 with no mods) the the 190 doesn't seem to have the same audio feedback, change in engine noise for example, that give some of the other planes like the P-51, the Spit and the 109 a sense of speed. The firepower, on the other hand...me likes:twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back