Feasibility of interwar 2,000 lb. armed FAA dive bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ju.88, Me.210/410 and Pe.2 were all DB twins capable of near 90* dives.

CV-capable folding wing plane is very tough on 22' lift. Westland Whirlwind has engine center lines 12' 9" apart and 10' diameter 3 blade propellers adding minimum 2' 6" to either side which gets you to 17' 9". About the same as the historical Fulmar; you do need a wing with >50% additional area compared to the Fulmar to get landing and take-off speeds down to carrier acceptable levels. And you need a solution to provide single engine control at those speeds but no over control at higher speeds - Grumman Tracker does it by having 2 piece rudder - both pieces move when landing gear is down, only rear section at higher speeds.

A twin boom fuselage e.g. F-82/Me.109Z-1 would allow you to shave a couple feet off that, but it makes for a challenge to construct tail plane strong enough for arresting gear - the Fw.189 had central tail wheel, so possible but the structure is going to add weight.

If it has to a twin, I would go for Arsenal VB-10/Ki-64 (but forget evaporative cooling) design with pair of Kestrels to start - view over the cowl as good as any inline engine plane. Yes, you will need a fancy new gear box on the front engine and blank plate aka P-39 on rear, but in theory, you can start early enough ('35/'36) to have the kinks worked out of it by '39. P-75 Eagle / Bugatti 100 are other alternatives on the theme.

Corrected my sin/cos use error...

Last edited:
I was thinking what if the Vengeance had come along a couple years earlier but after reading up on it, it doesnt look like a very good candidate for carrier ops due to its long nose. I dont think any variants had folding wings and it had a <2k lb. bomb load.

Users who are viewing this thread