Fiat CR.42; Gloster Gladiator: Pedigree, or not?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got a question here guys. Ive got so little on the CR.42's career as a night-fighter in the Regia Aeronautica. does anyone know how it performed in this role? wiki is a bit null on the subject and for the hakans aviation page i cant find much

Got a question here guys. Ive got so little on the CR.42's career as a night-fighter in the Regia Aeronautica. does anyone know how it performed in this role? wiki is a bit null on the subject and for the hakans aviation page i cant find much

What I remember is that was used as a night fighter by Regia Aeronautica and later, after September 1943 armistice, also by Luftwaffe 1./NSG 9 that used it in the fighter-bomber role.
There is a nice book in this subjec
Ghost Bombers.jpg

In the above book there is a couple of pictures on page 33 that shows Fiat assembly line after an Allie air raid, but what is funny, as you can read in photo caption is that the raid took place in April 1944 and these planes were purposely built for the Germans. Later on the CR42 left room to Ju87D as soona s they were made available.
CR42 NSG90001.jpg

I will find out a bit more on Regia Aeronautica usage an I will post here my findings.
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back