Flap deployment speeds 109/190

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bulldozer

Recruit
Mar 13, 2009
Hello all. Does anyone out there have any technical data on the flap deployment speeds in combat for the Bf 109 and Fw 190?

Thank you in advance,
Bulldozer

You might want to check out the Flight Manual section. I am sure the information is there.

- Ivan.

>Hello all. Does anyone out there have any technical data on the flap deployment speeds in combat for the Bf 109 and Fw 190?

Attachments

• 1-109-2.jpg
    1-109-2.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 303
Hi Bulldozer,

>Thanks for the info. This is what I was looking for. What source did this come from?

It's one of nine pages included with this request. I'm not sure it actually belongs to the request as it makes no mention of attachments. I'm afraid I don't have more on this as it was an internet forum find.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• 1-109-1.jpg
    1-109-1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 270
Thats because before you take-off you have to get out and check to make sure theres no bubble gum stuck in the flaps. I do it all the time.

>Hello all. Does anyone out there have any technical data on the flap deployment speeds in combat for the Bf 109 and Fw 190?

HI Henning- good info!
If I'm reading the chart correctly(and there's no guarantee of that!) the 109's infinitely variable flap should allow 20 degrees at up to 450km/hr? I wonder how long that would take to deply (how many turns of the wheel) and how much the pressure required to turn the wheel would increase with airspeed?
My POH for the 109 only says that 250km/hr is the max for full flaps or when the variable camber flaps are in use. (writing from memory here I have to recheck when I get home tomorrow night)
What does that mean exactly? Is it referring to the ailerons drooping to match the flaps?
The POH doesn't give any numbers for flap deployment below full out.
I'm just wondering what the max speed would be for using flap in combat, and whether it would actually help orwhether if was impractical.
There are many reports of pilots dropping flaps (even full flaps in some cases) when the fights got low and slow- why wouldn't this be the case for the 109 as well? I

Thanks for your help.

Actually Finnster, from all the research I've done, the amount of effort to deploy the flaps does not increase with speed...but it does with g force only because of the effects on the pilot. There is a video on youtube that shows a guy in a 109 (indoors, probably an airshow hangar) turning the flap wheel...if I remember correctly 6 1/2 turns of 45 to 60 degrees each until the flaps were fully deployed at 42 degrees.

The only consideration for 109 flap deployment was structural integrity..."safe speeds" were dictated to prevent pilots from breaking wings by deploying too high of a flap angle higher than safe speeds...but there are pilot accounts showing that the flaps could be deployed at higher speeds in actual combat...of course, those that failed probably never lived to talk about it, and the ones who survived the failures probably weren't going to admit to making the mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back