Flapjack

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

andy2012

Airman 1st Class
Feb 12, 2012
What was the thinking when designing the XF5U and the Sack AS-6? Did the have any benefits over the aircraft from that period?

as envisioned, yes it did. Low aspect wings with props that rotated opposite to the wingtip vorticies canceling a large amount of drag inherrent in low aspect wings. Props that also moved up and down to aid in manuvering. So hign maneuverability, low drag and speed (550mph). But coming at a time when jets were taking over

But how good of a range could a plane like that have? I don't see it matching the P-51D or the FW 190.

Wiki says the range on the XF5U was just over 1,000 miles.

I thought this was very interesting too.....

The only completed XF5U-1 proved to be so structurally solid that it had to be destroyed by a wrecking ball

German planes are moot since the initial prototype was stil unfinished in 1946. As to the P-51 one can only speculate since the Flapjack never actually flew. The P-51 had a top speed of 437mph and a rate of climb of 3200ft/min. The XF5U-1 was rated at 475mph with a rate of climb of 3000 ft/min. Additionally the XF5 could have carried the same 6-.50 or 4-20mm cannon. Pilots being equal I give it to the XF5U

But the V-173 did fly. If it did become operational in time to see action, it wouldn't have a large impact, would it?

Bit of history the v-173 was a prototype of a prototype. it was construced of wood and canvas with twin 80hp engines. due to high vibration problems the first test flight was not made until late 1942. When the VS-135 proved the concept sound the actual developental aircraft, XF5U-1 was begun. The old VS-135 was still developmental into 1947

Doubtful as the Flapjack wouldn't have been used as a fighter since it's top speed (138mph) was nothing like the XF5U.

Well consider its circula aspect, it'd make it initiallly difficult at a glance to have an idea where it (or what heading it) was actually going... up there 'in a furball', any chance is a chance.... and it was immensely structrally strong - designed ala typica US armour practices or the day, plus the benefits of its resulting aero shaping that added much more than envisaged - being a disc/circular wing it'd be equivelent to the Americans embracing Geodesic construction.

Similarily or not, of which modern building aero sewage ducting/pipage methods are developed from the construction of the geodsic principle for creating 'tubualr girders' formed of metal strips....

Last edited:
Thanks for all this information, I never thought of these ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back