Flying Wing Planes (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dotorg

Recruit
May 17, 2006
Greetings!

I was recently talking with my dad about one of his early memories of planes returning from the war. He remembers many, many planes flying over head that he recalls as being Flying Wing planes (or at least they looked that way). However, all of the research I've done indicates they only really made it to prototype status.

Is there any sort of plane that would have been mass-produced that would look similar to a Flying Wing style plane?

Thanks!

dotorg said:
Greetings!

I was recently talking with my dad about one of his early memories of planes returning from the war. He remembers many, many planes flying over head that he recalls as being Flying Wing planes (or at least they looked that way). However, all of the research I've done indicates they only really made it to prototype status.

Is there any sort of plane that would have been mass-produced that would look similar to a Flying Wing style plane?

Thanks!
Read about Northrop and welcome!

Hallo dotorg !!!

Welcome to the forum.Could I ask you a question? When and where your dad have seen the planes?

Were any Flying Wing planes that you know of either made my Northop or Horten put into mass-production at all? From what reading I've done so far, it seems like a limited number were ever created due to engineering flaws, etc.

If this is the case, is there another style of plane that is close to a flying wing that was widely produced near the end of WWII?

I wish I had more info to go on, I'm just trying to piece together an old childhood memory of my dad's.

Thanks all!

B-35s built...

Serials of Northrop B-35:
42-13603 Northrop XB-35
42-38323 Northrop XB-35
42-102366/102378 Northrop YB-35
102367 and 102368 converted to YB-49.
102368 w/o 6-5-48
102369/102375 scrapped before flying
102376 converted to YRB-49A
102377,102378 scrapped before flying

northrop_xb-35.jpg
usaf

1482_yb49.jpg
usaf

Guys,don't forget about the German technology, the five captured Me 163 Comet were tested in The USA shortly after WW2 had been ended.Serials FE 495/500/501/502/503.

and let's not forget the British Flying wings, we were working on some since the 20s, let's not get carried away thinking it was only the americans and Germans working on them........

Thanks all - you've been a big help! I would have to concur that what he remembers seeing most likely weren't flying wing aircraft, but if anything I know a little more about them now. :)

dotorg said:
Thanks all - you've been a big help! I would have to concur that what he remembers seeing most likely weren't flying wing aircraft, but if anything I know a little more about them now. :)

It's possible that what he saw were B-17s, and while they're not flying wings, they did have wide wings compared to other bombers of the time. Looking at a formation from the ground, that would probably be the most prominent feature he would have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back