Focke Wulf tailless fighter report (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OldGeezer

Airman 1st Class
Dec 11, 2020
Hope I have this in the right place, but whoever runs this forum does an excellent job of sorting out my mis-filings so I'll trust once again to their efficiency. I was sorting through materials in the Smithsonian collections and found a translated document describing the Focke Wulf tailless fighter that seems to have become the inspiration for Lindberg's old spurious "MiG-19" kit, for any old-times who can remember that. It has schematics of the flight control system, landing gear, structure, propulsion/fuel systems, and even an inboard profile. The quality isn't great, but it's worth a look if you have any Luft 46-style interest in this particular airplane. Slideshow | NASM.XXXX.0408_ref554

The TA183 is the basis for the MIG15. The build up of the airforce with jets in Russia was driven by german engineers and technology. USSR did not have anything jet related at the end of WW2

The TA183 is the basis for the MIG15. The build up of the airforce with jets in Russia was driven by german engineers and technology. USSR did not have anything jet related at the end of WW2
Not quite true.

The MiG-9, La-150 and Yak-15 were under development in early 1945. It is true that these types were designed around German jet engines but their general layout were a hodge-podge of design theories.

In the case of the MiG-15, the designers borrowed more from the Me163/263 design than anything.

Not quite true.

The MiG-9, La-150 and Yak-15 were under development in early 1945. It is true that these types were designed around German jet engines but their general layout were a hodge-podge of design theories.

In the case of the MiG-15, the designers borrowed more from the Me163/263 design than anything.
Not quite true.

The MiG-9 was first flight on April 23, 1946, engine reverse engineered BMW 003. Yak-15 was first flight on April 23 1946, engine reverse engineered Jumo 004, La-150 first flight September 11, 1946 engine German Turbojet. The Sovejet Jet engine proposed was a Lyulka TR-1 with a first run on August 9, 1946.

So the development of jet engines and Jet airplanes were based on the German technology that were captured in east Germany, mainly the Junkers factory and jet development teams. The production of the Jumo 004 continued under supervision at the German plants by USSR.

Not quite true.

The MiG-9 was first flight on April 23, 1946, engine reverse engineered BMW 003. Yak-15 was first flight on April 23 1946, engine reverse engineered Jumo 004, La-150 first flight September 11, 1946 engine German Turbojet. The Sovejet Jet engine proposed was a Lyulka TR-1 with a first run on August 9, 1946.

So the development of jet engines and Jet airplanes were based on the German technology that were captured in east Germany, mainly the Junkers factory and jet development teams. The production of the Jumo 004 continued under supervision at the German plants by USSR.
The designs were under way by February 1945 before the Soviets had their hands on any German engineers or captured aircraft.

The "first flown" date of an aircraft is not an accurate measurement of development as there will be a stretch of time between the origin of concept and that first flight.
After that first flight, any issues will have to be corrected (through more testing) before acceptance into service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back