FOOTNOTE

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FlexiBull

Airman 1st Class
Feb 9, 2009
Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

I came across this website the other day. Lots of data and images from American history. I made straight for WW2, airforce images and ............... BINGO! Sign up and many of the downloads are free.

Footnote.com - The place for original historical documents online

Here are a few examples - great detail for modelling.

Oh and someone tell me how that Dakota got down in that field with those Waco gliders :shock:

Flexi

Attachments

• B 25 formation (Large).jpg
    B 25 formation (Large).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 157
  • B 26 (Large).jpg
    B 26 (Large).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 153
  • P 51 maintenance (Large).jpg
    P 51 maintenance (Large).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Dakota and gliders (Large).jpg
    Dakota and gliders (Large).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Oh wait.. actually you can see it. She slid in from SW to NE and rotated 75% or so. That had to be a damaged airplane and not part of the operation, right? ::shock:

I think you can see the marks left by the glider. So I guess a belly landing would have shown up. Think it was a case of hard right rudder!!

What's good about some of these images on the website is that they have annotations that appear in a green box, usually for personnel, but also on the serial numbers on some aircraft.

I'm still wading through it. Here's two I like.

Always liked a "bit of fluff "!

Attachments

• Bristol Beaufighter (Large).jpg
    Bristol Beaufighter (Large).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Bristol Beaufighter 02 (Large).jpg
    Bristol Beaufighter 02 (Large).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 147
I don't think it was a belly landing. Look at the shadows under the wings. The nose is also at an angle. Interesting pic none the less though.

That is my judgment also - likely landing and maybe ground loop but the shadow says the gear is down and wing off the ground. I suspect he landed from ssw to ene and turned right as he approached the field boundary..

maybe flak damage and had to set it down in emergency landing.

Last edited:
i dont know what the ground roll distance is for a dakota but that is stinking short and would have taken some hot@$$ flying. the most likely route would have been what drgondog said. he had more room the otherway (other than the small tree line at the end) but that would have had in landing downwind. had to come in low and slow and just touch down after the tree line....and maybe through the smaller one. i would bet there was a trembling hand trying to light up a cigarette after it came to a stop. someone had a hell of a story to tell...

Last edited:
If you look carefully I think you can see where the Dakota just clipped that short hedge.

the more i look at this the more i see...or maybe its because the monitor is better on this computer. but the glider on the right....you can see behind it where the landing gear made indents into the field. there are simular marks ( or shading ) parallel to those ending where the dakota is. perhaps they are furrows from the gear or just the way the light is reflecting off the grass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back