For You Planespotters....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
I'm considering buying a new camera. all's I've got is a 5MP HP Photosmart M425 digital camera. if any of you do planespotting often and use a fancy pro-like camera, what can you suggest?

I'm looking in the price range of 1-250, possibly 300

If you are going for a point and shoot I wouldn't reccomend the Fuji brand . I've owned 2 Fujis a 3 and 10mp and 2 Canons a 5 and 7mp and preferred the less powerful but more pricey Canons in all aspects. What little I know about cameras makes me think the Fuji had much poorer image stabalization. I sold the 10mp fuji for a $125 after less then a year it did a good job on scenery and static but IMHO was a waste for airshows . I kept the 7mp Canon
I've always purchased my cameras with backyard Plane spotting in mind .

It's a bit higher than the price range you listed but the Fuji S100FS is a great camera. Not sure what the exact price is but I've seen it between $400-$500. I've had this camera for almost 2 years now and works great. It has 11.1mp and 14.5x zoom.

Here are soom pictures I took from this past airshow season:
SBsHF_1.gif

Harvards_2.gif

OldCrow_1_C.gif

WindsorInternationalAirshowFrida-1.gif

You can see more here if you'd like:
2009 Airshows pictures by Rhino9-3 - Photobucket

Since you guys obviously know a lot about cameras, I wanted to ask a question.

I am not a camera phanatic nor do I want to be one. But I want to get a new camera that takes great shots, is digital, does not lag between pressing the button and the shot (can't tell how many great shots I missed because of that f---in' lag!), and is pretty simple.

Any ideas. I have a Cannon SD600 and I know camera technology is way beyond it.

Any ideas? (thanks in advance for your advice)

Since you guys obviously know a lot about cameras, I wanted to ask a question.

I am not a camera phanatic nor do I want to be one. But I want to get a new camera that takes great shots, is digital, does not lag between pressing the button and the shot (can't tell how many great shots I missed because of that f---in' lag!), and is pretty simple.

Any ideas. I have a Cannon SD600 and I know camera technology is way beyond it.

Any ideas? (thanks in advance for your advice)
I don't know squat but I know I don't like Fuji for airshows.
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/personal-gallery/pbs-photos-4053-7.html taken with a canon 5mp

The focus lag problem exists in many point and shoot digitals. DSLRs are way better with it, but there are times that the lens may "hunt", depending on the lens and the conditions. Since I use a DSLR, I am not well versed in the point and shoot cameras. But that focus lag was why I got into DSLRs, plus the ability to change lenses and have more control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back