Fouga Magister (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was the first aircraft that I classified as ugly when I was a little boy, and looking at it now...still ugly :):):)

Interesting info on the "v" tails, thank you

:lol: :lol: Yeah, same for me, and I was hoping that nobody would find out that the Luftwaffe had them.

Regards
Kruska

I like it
It looks ugly but elegant...

Very cheap trainer and did a good job recovering the French Aero industry.

I like it
It looks ugly but elegant...

Very cheap trainer and did a good job recovering the French Aero industry.

Hello the Basket,

Good point there, it also helped to recover the German Aero industry.

Regards
Kruska

F-117 has a V-tail configuration and it seems to be working fine with it.

Is it?

That was a really unique airplane, really futuristic. Its victory to loss ratio could had been PERFECT, hadn't that Hungarian serving in Yugoslav army shot it down. We still don't know how, at least I don't. I saw the remains of a cockpit, a tail and the pilot's helmet on a display in our Aviation museum.

That was a really unique airplane, really futuristic. Its victory to loss ratio could had been PERFECT, hadn't that Hungarian serving in Yugoslav army shot it down. We still don't know how, at least I don't. I saw the remains of a cockpit, a tail and the pilot's helmet on a display in our Aviation museum.
From what I understand it was a matter of skill, luck, and good old spying. From what I read there were Yugoslav spies around the Italian airbase where the F-117s were based out of. They would keep record of what time the aircraft took off. The times of the strikes were also monitored, so there was a value from the time they took off to the time they released their bombs. This Hungarian guy allegedly used a low frequency radar and was able to track the aircraft based on the cluttered return and the time to target gained from intelligence. It seems the night that F-117 was brought down all that was put together and it worked.

A result of poor mission planning/rules of engagement and an insightful AAM crew. The F-117 was forced to use the same entrance/egress routes to targets. The AAM crew picked up on this and positioned themselves to take advantage. There was always debates about whether the use of indirect RF reflections may have been capitalized with cell tower technology for low frequency detection. But I think that answer was much more simple in reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back