Frank Bray's Spitfire PR XI from the Moehne Dam

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tempest

Airman
Dec 12, 2006
Hello

I'm looking for the 542 Squadron codes and serials for the plane that Squadron Leader Bray used to photograph the Moehne Dam after 617 Squadron broke it.

Thanks

It's only taken 12yrs to get you the answer but with the help of some great guys you now have it. The info comes from the 542 Sqn ORB. Squadron Leader Frank Fray flew Spitfire Pr.Mk.XI, coded "E", s/n EN343. Notice that the code "E" is under the serial number, apparently common to 542 Sqn. Its a wonder that I never noticed any codes

upload_2018-9-4_9-57-34.png

upload_2018-9-4_10-4-49.png

Discussion here...

Sqn Ldr Frank Fray Spitfire PR. Mk.XI

Last edited:
And today's record for the Oldest Thread resurrection goes to MR Fubar57

Regarding the PR.XI. Are you sure his last name is Bray? I've found a Squadron Leader Frank Fray with 542 Sqn. I've seen a handful of photos and none carry squadron codes

Yep... I'm quick like that. Thanks for the response. Have just returned to scale modeling after a long break hence the resurgence of interest...and I remembered my password.

Thanks for the picks.

Allan

Yes quite. Apologies to Frank Fray about getting his name wrong.

The pics you attached were helpful. My 48th Spit XI is now finished and hanging up with the others

Thanks again

Allan

It was a Legato resin kit that sat unloved and unfinished for years, probably the 12 years you pointed out.

A resin kit was probably not the thing to make your modelling comeback with.......a bad workman etc.

Anyway, I finished it and on to the next thing.

I'm siting in the Cafe at the Air Force Museum at the former RNZAF Base Wigram so something of a pilgrimage.

All the the Kiwi VC winner displays have been rotated out of public exhibition TFN. Very disappointing. I've done the Lloyd Trigg Liberator GR V and the Ventura II that Leonard Trent was flying over Holland, both in 48th and one of the next projects is the Wellington that Jimmy Ward did the aerial fire-fighting on for his VC.

Great place to visit.

Allan

Nice tribute Allan. I know the story and posted it and a photo here. I see Airfix make a 1/72 kit with the markings. I remember the Legato Spitfire kits. I really wanted to get some as they offered some unique marks but they seem to have all but disappeared. Hopefully you'll post the results of your Wellington here. I'd be very interested in seeing it

Nice tribute Allan. I know the story and posted it and a photo here. I see Airfix make a 1/72 kit with the markings. I remember the Legato Spitfire kits. I really wanted to get some as they offered some unique marks but they seem to have all but disappeared. Hopefully you'll post the results of your Wellington here. I'd be very interested in seeing it

Lloyd Trigg VC's GR V at the Willow Run end of my bench.

IMG_35241.jpg
IMG_35061.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back